Best Material for Replacing the Subflooring in a Mobile Home

What is the best material to use to replace sub flooring in my mobile home? Also, what kind should I use in the bathroom?

By Lorraine from Bristol, CT

Best Answer

When we redid an older mobile home, we used 3/4 inch regular plywood in the bedrooms, living room, and waterproof 3/4 inch ply in the bathrooms and kitchen. It does cost a little more, but there was already particle board there, and it was worn out and sagging.

Best Answer

We're with fatboyslimsmom, you really have to use that 3/4 waterproof plywood in the bathroom or kitchen, wherever there's plumbing or the possibility of moisture. The DH and his father redid the floors in my father-in-law's mobile home and they're still holding strong eight years later, as opposed to the nasty particle board that had been in place beforehand.

If you're also having wall problems ( soft spots, moisture issues) in the bathroom and need to re-do them, also make sure to use green board rather than regular sheetrock.

Spend the extra money and purchase 100% plywood sub flooring. It will last much longer than the particle board they are selling today. You should buy the same for the bathroom floor.

Thank you so much for your responses. I will follow up when I can get this done. I don't like the musty smell from the back room here and need some help with that. I recently had a leaking water hose from the water heater and that has caused allot of problems with the flooring, too.

Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsAugust 19, 2010
🍀
💘