Best Material for Replacing the Subflooring in a Mobile Home

Category Floors
Mobile home construction is different enough from that of stick build homes, that you will want to research the best materials for the job. This is a page about best material for replacing the subflooring in a mobile home.

What is the best material to use to replace sub flooring in my mobile home? Also, what kind should I use in the bathroom?

By Lorraine from Bristol, CT

Answers

Best Answer

When we redid an older mobile home, we used 3/4 inch regular plywood in the bedrooms, living room, and waterproof 3/4 inch ply in the bathrooms and kitchen. It does cost a little more, but there was already particle board there, and it was worn out and sagging.

Best Answer

We're with fatboyslimsmom, you really have to use that 3/4 waterproof plywood in the bathroom or kitchen, wherever there's plumbing or the possibility of moisture. The DH and his father redid the floors in my father-in-law's mobile home and they're still holding strong eight years later, as opposed to the nasty particle board that had been in place beforehand.

If you're also having wall problems ( soft spots, moisture issues) in the bathroom and need to re-do them, also make sure to use green board rather than regular sheetrock.

Is insulation mandatory in replacing the sub-floor in a mobile home bedroom? If so what type of material, vapor barrier, etc. is best?

Answers

Best Answer

Sorry for a delayed answer but if you have not completed the job here are some suggestions. I would never consider using anything other than plywood. Added insulation is always a good idea but not mandatory.

Here is a link that has some very, very clear and easy to understand instructions to help do this type of job.

mobilehomeliving.org/.../

What type of wood do I need to use to reinforce the sub-flooring in a mobile home to withstand the weight of a upright console piano? I plan to move a 1967 steinway console upright piano into a mobile home. I need to know what type of wood to reinforce the subflooring so it will hold the weight of the piano. Any suggestions?

Answers

Use plywood

The weight of the uprights are generally about 300 lbs so I wouldn't go less than 1/2 inch plywood but 3/4 inch might be overkill. If you plan to put the piano in one room or location just laying plywood on top of the flooring (but under the carpet), is probably the best way.

I wouldn't advise to reinforce from underneath as most mobiles have a belly skirt that protects the duct work and pipes. Once you open that you are leaving a welcome sign for all creatures big and small to take up residence there.

I would consider the other suggestion about placing 1/2 inch plywood where the piano will stay but you must consider the 'path' to that spot it will need to be reinforced every place the piano rolls.

You must consider the complete path - from the truck to the permanent 'spot'.
If your outside deck/porch will support it then you may be able to take 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood and lay one at the door and the nest one in line. You will need something (carpet?) to lay over the plywood as you do want it to tip (edge between pieces) when you roll from one piece to the next.

You can then move the first piece of plywood to the end of the previous and so on until you reach your permanent spot.
This will need several people and good planning.

You also need to think about how large your 'spot' needs to be that will be safe and can accommodate the piano and stool/bench and a little walking space?

What's the best thing to use for replacing the floor in a mobile home?

Answers

Use a good grade of particle board or OSB-oriented strand board.

There are a lot of good YouTube videos on this...www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyS0CE__YdE

Unless you are super handy, this is a huge job and I suggest getting pro to weigh in.

There are many variables here...like is it just the floor, is there a subfloor, what climate are you in (since damp climates can have different needs than hot/dry climates).

Double check that you don't need permits from your local town to do this replacement. I live in a place where just about anything you do to a house needs a permit, so check that out also.

Post back what you learn. Blessings!

Home and Garden Repair Home FloorsJune 26, 2017
🌻
🎃