Binder For Corned Beef Hash

I haven't eaten corned beef hash in many years. I saw a large (24 oz.) can, greatly reduced. I bought it with the intention of making patties of some sort and then frying and freezing most of them.

The hash was so crumbly, I couldn't form patties. I added a beaten egg. Still too crumbly. Another egg, still too crumbly.

I won't add more egg because if I do, the patties will taste eggy. What else can I use for a binder? I won't waste this hash and I don't want to just stir it in a pan til the eggs cook.

Best Answer

You can add bread crumbs, panko crumbs, or oats.

Anonymous

Onion

Best Answer

Bullion for moisture and cracker crumbs.

I have added left-over mashed potatoes or even flake "instant" potatoes but it takes a pretty firm hand to make a patty of this type hash. I believe some brands are more difficult than others to form patties but I'm not sure which brand I had problems with.

Have you considered just placing your hash into serving size portions and freezing them for a later date? Maybe by then you will have less volume to deal with and can experiment with different solutions/recipes?
I have made delicious stuffed green peppers with hash and cooked rice as well as mixing a little pineapple with just pan frying the hash and serve as a main dish or serve with eggs on top - usually everyone loves it.

I bet everyone does love it. Sounds good. Thanks.

I think a little bit of flour dusted into your hash (with your egg already in it) will work to make patties you can fry.

You could even put a bit of flour on a plate after mixing some flour into your hash, and then lay your formed patty on that to coat the outside with the flour too, then flip to coat the other side with flour, then lift it with a spatula because (the patty will be delicate) then put the flour coated patty into your hot oil to crisp up one side, then flip to crisp up the other side.