Butternut Squash and Apples
I love butternut squash! Just in time for Thanksgiving. What a great side dish to any meal. It is so remarkably good!
- approx. 1/2 pound of butternut squash, peeled, cut up into cubes
- 3-4 MacIntosh Apples, peeled, cored and cut up in cubes
- approx. 4 heaping tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
- slight sprinkle of salt
- I cut a large piece of butternut squash off and peel it. Then I cubed it. Peel 3-4 medium sized apples, core and cut up.
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring squash and apples to a boil, in only about a 1/2 cup of water. Stir constantly.
- Give a slight sprinkle of salt.
- When squash and apples are tender, remove from the heat and drain.
- Put back in the pan and add the butter. Using a potato masher, start mashing. I like mine a bit chunky. Add the brown sugar and cinnamon, and stir in.
Note: You can also use a chopped sweet potato and chopped carrots. They take longer to cook, so I start cooking them ahead of time. It is so healthy!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!