Butternut Squash with Macintosh Apples

contest winner icon
I just love winter squash. I like it a bit sweet, but do not like having to sweeten it with so much sugar. I thought maybe I could cook apples with it and sweeten it naturally. This is so good, you will love it and you will have the kids eating their veggies like never before!

1. Cut butternut squash into large pieces, carve out the seeds and growth inside, then cut into cubes. Boil in a pan of water, just enough to cover them with a dash of salt (opt). Bring to a boil, then lower to a medium simmer. For about 15 minutes. It cooks faster if you cut the pieces small.
  2. When half cooked, add 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and cut up small. They should be done at the same time.
  3. In a casserole dish, prepare it with 2 pads of butter or as much as you desire and a spoonful of brown sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
  4. When ready to drain, use a strainer with very small holes; strain and mash in the strainer. It gets the excess water out.
  5. Then toss it in your casserole and just gently toss. I like mine a bit chunky. If you want it to be smoother, just mix it more or mash. Hope you like this!

this recipe sounds healthy and yummy!

Thank you Shelby! I think it is a great tasting vegetable and also a great way to get children to eat veggies.
Thank you for commenting.

I've never cared for butternut squash. I think I would really like them this way. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the recipe.