Can Baby Zebra Finches Be Released into Nature?

Category Birds
Bird species that have been bred as pets typically should not be released into the wild. This is a guide about, "Can baby zebra finches be released into nature?".

Zebra finches breed so often under most circumstances. I live in Miami, Florida where the weather is bird friendly. Can baby zebra finches once they come out of the nest be released in nature?

Answers

Best Answer

I believe you were thinking that would be a nice thing to do but, unfortunately, it cannot be done. Some pets we have domesticated so far that it would be impossible to release them to fend for themselves.

I would suggest that you consider calling your local humane society as many of these will take birds but if they do not they may have recommendations for you. If this doesn't work you can place an ad on Craigslist or freecycle and try to find good homes. You will have to be very selective as to who you choose to release them to.
A last resort would be to visit some pet stores and see if they would like to have them. My local Petsmart puts all kinds of animals and birds up for adoption and they are very selective about who gets the opportunity to be the new parents.
As suggested, in the future it may be best to remove the eggs but if you do not want to do that, just think about the outcome and I'm sure you will do the right thing as I believe your heart is in the right place and you truly care about these little creatures.

According to WikiHow:

If you dont want your zebra finch anymore, do not release it into the wild. It will not survive there. Find it a suitable home if you cant take care of it anymore.

No! These are domesticated birds and they will not know how to survive.

Do not release the babies into the wild - they will be instantly killed by bigger prey birds. Even if they weren't killed they do not have the skills on how to find food to survive. You must remove all the eggs from the nest once laid & throw them away if you do not want babies.

Be a responsible bird breeder & think of the birds first.