Can't Find Which Circuit a Light is On

I'm adding some light fixtures to a utility room in the basement that has one light bulb right now. I've tried turning all the breakers off to find the source of the power in that room, but nothing on the main electrical panel turns that light off. Where else in the house would I look for the source of the power to that breaker? It's got me puzzled.

By Phil

Just a hunch, but it sounds to me like it's on the same circuit as your furnace or whatever is in the utility room, which you probably didn't shut off during your testing routine.

It seems to me that if your wiring does not seem to be organized in the regular fashion, you might want to call in a journeyman electrician to see what the problem is. It may be that someone who didn't know what they were doing, sometime in the past, did some wiring. You may have all sorts of problems that you have yet to discover.

If you have a light that is not controlled by a breaker, then something is wired improperly. Although adding a light fixture is a job a home handyperson should be able to do, if the basic wiring is done incorrectly, you should likely call in a professional to fix it. Electricity is not something to fool with, but sadly, many people do.