Child's Eligibility for Social Security Survivor's Benefits

My husband is wanting to adopt my daughter and she receives Social Security from her father who passed away while I was pregnant. Will she still get her Social Security checks if she takes my husband's last name and does not have her father's last name?

By Courtney P. from Knoxville, TN

Anonymous
Best Answer

I agree with MCW. Call Social Security or go to the local SS office nearest you to get a correct answer. I am sure your family could use the checks she recieves to help with her expenses but on the heart side instead of practical perhaps you could also keep this next paragraph in mind if your daughter no longer receives benefits after the adoption:

I was legally adopted by my daddy when I was eleven and personally am so thankful for that loving gift and no amount of SS money from my biological father's death (who had died when I was three) would ever have meant as much as to me as my daddy who loved me unconditionally and who loved me enough to give me his name.

Best Answer

My husband died of cancer in 1986 when my son was 18 months of age. My son received Social Security survivor's benefits until age 18, even though he was adopted by my husband after I remarried. We even got a replacement birth certificate with his "new" last name. Don't know if the rules have changed since then, so it's best to check with your local Social Security office.

Call the social service administration and ask them. They would be better in answering that question.

Call social security office and also go to social security office. The reason why I say call and go to compare two answers because a lot of times you get two conflicting answers from same dept. Good luck and God bless you and family!