AppliancesCleaning

Clean Fridge And Freezer Interior With Peroxide

contest winner icon
For years I've used baking soda to clean inside my refrigerator and freezer. I've found something I think I like better. Peroxide.

Baking soda does a very good job of cleaning the fridge and leaves it odorless. But, there's always the residue to wipe away.

I keep a very small spray bottle of peroxide at the sink. I spray the faucet and handles with it as they can grow mold due to constant moisture.

Today, I got the bright (?) idea of using peroxide to clean my freezer. A few squirts from my little bottle and a quick wipe and I'm done. No residue to wipe away. I like.

3%, 10 volume, $1.00 qt. at Dollar tree

Oh, I also like the 3 pack of little travel bottles from Dollar Tree. Two are flip top and one is a spray bottle as shown here.

Never thought of using peroxide, always used baking soda. Thanks for the great info!!!

Come to think of it, it might be better than soda in another way. Soda is abrasive. I guess if you rubbed enough you would eventually dull the plastic interior. Peroxide wouldn't do that.

Peroxide needs to be in a dark container. Cover it with foil or duct tape. It reacts with light and ceases being peroxide.

I do have spray bottles of peroxide under every sink. I use it frequently, but had not thought of my fridge or freezer. Thanks.

You're right, light and heat and any contaminant will cause peroxide to degrade. I go through these 2 oz bottles so quickly, it hardly matters.

I do keep the brown quart 'refill' bottle in the fridge.

Great idea. I never thought of using Peroxide for cleaning the refrigerator but I can see that it would be a good product for that purpose. I will certainly try it.

I keep some in a spray bottle all the time for cleaning spots on the carpet. I just spray it on and let it sit for about 15 minutes and then wipe it up. It removes the spot and does not harm the carpet.

Anonymous

Peroxide? Great idea nice idea

I am a "thrifter" to my core and just use a clean cotton dish rag with VERY hot tap water for every day wipe downs. I will have to get a small bottle of peroxide on sale and try it for deep cleaning days. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous

That Is how Domedic, that builds RV Refriges , clean there's before they go onto a rack to be sent to shipping to be shipped out. In the state of Indiana.

Anonymous

They other commenter is exactly right. Peroxide is simply water after being exposed to light, That's why it's always sold in brown bottles. I frequently get the quarts for .75 cents at big box stores. They also carry smaller spray bottles. buy those once, then refill from the quarts.

I've used Peroxide for cleaning for many years. I spray down my kitchen counters and use it to wipe my cutting boards. A little added to your dishwater is good too.

Yes, carpet stains disappear... but make sure your carpet is synthetic. Peroxide WILL bleach many natural fabrics.

I actually just bought a used chest freezer last week from someone online. I was in a hurry, so we just loaded it in my jeep and off I went. When I got it home and opened it up, it smelled like death and felt like I had just thrown money away (it was a very good deal though). I looked online and a lot of websites said about either bleach or baking soda and a ton of scrubbing, removing/replacing seals, etc.

I happened to have a bottle of Clorox urine odor remover, which is mostly peroxide based, so I decided to try that first before really getting dirty.

I gave the interior a nice saturation, including the seals, closed it up and let it sit overnight. The next day, I opened it up and no odor, just that off-smell when you put peroxide on a wound. In the crevices, there was a lot of foaming action that was happening, which I took as a good sign that the odor causing bacteria were getting annihilated. I gave it a good wiping, another spraying and let it sit for a few more hours. I wiped it out, closed it up and let it sit overnight, just to be sure. The next day, I opened it up and no odors at all! I couldn't believe it!

We have white carpet (I know, what was I thinking???) and I keep a spray bottle that's half water/half peroxide for spot cleaning. When I had my carpets professionally cleaned a few years ago, the guy told me the best thing to use on carpets was tap water.

We now have a carpet shampooer, and I use the hottest water, no soap, to clean the carpets. I'll occasionally add peroxide for a stubborn, high-traffic area.