Cleaning a Burnt On Grease Off a Stove

I have a black enamel fast stove. The two front burners have charred grease and when I clean what will come off around the burners it has left dry dull areas. How can I remove all the charred buildup and make the stove top shiny like the rest of it? The dry dull spots are driving me crazy. I heard from the store I purchased it from that after I clean it I should polish it with car wax, but I'm a little nervous. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Tammy

No don't waist your time with car wax. I also have a black stove. It was my Mom's stove and is now over 60 years old. First do not use anything that will scratch it like those sponges that have a rough side. My husband scratched the daylights out of Mom's stove because he always used those even when I begged him not to. Just use a mix of water, a little ammonia, and a drop or two of Dawn Dish Soap. Spray that on then wipe off. If you have a real stubborn area, spray a little Easy Off Oven Cleaner on the spot, wait about ten minutes then wipe off. Only use the one in the blue can, the one in the yellow can is nasty. After you wiped the stove off, get a soft cloth that has been sprayed with Lemon Oil. Wipe the stove down again using the Lemon Oil. It will shine forever after that and after sixty years, still look new. The heat from your stove or burners might make the Lemon Oil smoke a tiny bit but it doesn't smoke allot or stink bad. Like I said, I have been using it for many years.