Color Advice for Area Rugs

Choosing the best color for an area rug and bring the whole room's color scheme together. This is a guide about color advice for area rugs.

Would a black and white striped rug look OK with my black and white checkered floor?

Answers

I dont think so. I would choose a black rug.

The patterns will probably clash.

Is it a store you could purchase from and bring back to return if it doesn't work out?

For me it would be too "busy" but there are folks in the Pinterest world who love that look and it works for them (see some samples):

www.pinterest.com/.../?q=black%20and%20white%20striped...[]=black%20and%20white%20striped%20rug%20on%20a%20black%20and%20white%20check%20floor%7Ctyped

I am of the decorating mindset that you have to love your space and decorate in a way that makes you happy, no matter what others think!!

Whatever you decide, make sure you love it!!!

Personally, I would not find that combination visually appealing. Have you considered a black and white faux cowhide rug? With the many surface color variations you might find one you really like.

As was said in another answer, the important thing is that you select accessories you like. Another option to consider would be a solid colored rug in something other than black or white. Red, gray or yellow would add a pop of color to your room.

Is this in the kitchen or in the living room? If it is in the kitchen, I would use a red or brightly patterned. rug for a color pop. But if it is in the living room, I would use a rug that coordinates with my existing furniture colors.

Tell us what you decide on and send us a picture.

I would suggest you take pictures of your rug (kitchen? living room?) and take the pictures to a Lowe's or Home Depot home section and ask for their advice.

They may be able to download your pictures and give you a better idea.

You can also do the same thing at a rug store and see what they suggest.

You do not have to buy anything from either store unless you find something that you like.

I, personally, believe a solid colored rug that fits your room, other furniture colors and your personality would be a better choice.

I have white walls in my living room with brown sofa. The pillows are lighter in color as in a golden color and curtains too are in golden color. I want to know what rug color will look good with it. Will a maroon rug look good? Please help.

By Kelly from Austin, TX

Answers

Gold, brown are earthy colors. I think I would like a brandywine over maroon, which is a burnt orange color. I also like greens with that, like an olive green or even teal.

Sherwin Williams has a website that has rooms you can color coordinate. I really like this site, I use it whenever I want to paint so I can see what colors go very well together... check it out, it's really cool.

I have a dark green sofa. The wall is a tan color. The floor is light hardwood. What color of area rug would or should I choose?

By Judy Barron from Eastman, GA

Answers

Tan and the wood tones are neutral colors and a lot of people consider green to be a neutral too. Any color you want would work.

Something with a mix of burgundy and black with a touch of purple would be nice. A tan and black rug would be another good option.

Let the rug reflect your personality. Choose a nice woven rug that incorporates the 2 neutrals with a least one more accent color that you love.

Let that accent color repeat in the room at least 3 times in a significant way. Throw pillows, vases, drapery, candles, etc. Hope this is helpful.

I think earthy brown, rust, and tan ( picking up from your wall color) in a block pattern or Oriental type throw rug if you're traditional or transitional might be nice; the same colors in a braided rug if you're country or shabby chic. I'd definitely go with something patterned on the floor and maybe a few throw pillows on the couch in similar colors, a couple of solids and a couple of patterned. Mixing the pillow patterns as different from the rug pattern if you decide to try that will work as long as they're in the same or complementary color family.

I would love to buy a area rug to go under my white coffee table. The couch is sunflower yellow and the three chairs are medium green. What color would go with this color scheme? Thank you.

By Ginger from Alexandria, VA

Answers

To me, rust would go with that.

My first choice is to agree with Abigail... but I also like the idea of chocolate brown.

I was thinking cocoa brown as my second choice! Whichever one you could get a better deal on.

I just bought a sofa. It has kind of a light tan in it and some off-white. My husband has a bluish green chair, a Smith Brothers' rocker recliner. I have a rug with light tan with red and green from Livings Treasures. My other rug has more red in it so I put it in the sun room with a goldish sofa. I just don't know what rug would be the best. I am fussy.
Can you help me?

Answers

I would go with a darker tan in the same color family as your sofa.

I agree with Judy that a darker tan would be a good choice. If you want a more colorful rug, you might want to check out the extensive choices of Arts & Craft rugs that have beautiful earth-tone colors in them.

My boyfriend and I just moved. We are getting new furniture here soon. Our carpet in the living room is mainly brown. The couch is red with brown legs. It's a love seat and a sofa. What color rug should we do ?

Answers

I always go for the more "out there - adventurous" color. Try deep deep forest/hunter green (not Christmas green) or teal. I have a red and teal tablecloth, and it looks great. I see you have a dark coffee table. If it can be moved, I suggest black. How about something in a dark gold (as dark as possible). Just some possible choices. Hope it helps.

My walls are a tan with white trim. My carpet is an off white and my furniture is a tan brown. What color of area rug would look good? I am trying to add some color to the living room. It looks so blah. Please help. Thanks.

Answers

I think you've got a good, basic colour scheme, Kelsey. (Mine is very similar and I know what you mean about wanting to spice it up a bit.) The roll ends at local fabric stores often provide inexpensive pieces of cloth large enough to make throw pillows. Consider trying yellows, rusts and oranges? Stop by your dollar store and see if they have silk flowers in those same colours?

Live with those colours for a while before investing in an area rug?

Have fun!

I just moved into this house. I have black curtains I would like to put up soon, but I have a rust colored, sort of light brown, couch and chair with ottoman. What color and type should the rug be? I have regular hardwood floors.

By Marilyn W

Answers

I'd choose a low pile rug with a bold pattern that picks up various brown colors and the black to merge furniture/curtains.

My walls are sunkist yellow. What color area rug can I buy so it blends nicely with the walls? I have Pergo flooring, light oak pictures with reds and yellows and the couch is a very light sage color.

By Maggie

Answers

The only color I can recommend for the shades you named is gold. Not too dark or light, and not too bright. Flecks of other colors would be okay. I can envision it now -and it's pretty! Cay from FL

I have walls of beige with an ivory bead board. The curtains are solid rust and the sofa and chair are chocolate brown. The floors are light oak wood. What color would be best for an area rug and accent pillows?

By Jeane M