Cooking Spare Ribs

What is the best way to cook spare ribs?

By jkent from San Diego, CA

Answers:

Cooking Spare Ribs

I bake them in oven with a little water and vinegar or lemon juice with salt and pepper on them. When done you can put BBQ sauce on them, cook 5 minutes more (if you like BBQ). Good luck. (07/28/2009)

By kffrmw88

Cooking Spare Ribs

I first slow-boil or simmer them for 20 minutes, then season them with a commercial seasoning for ribs (Emeril). Finish them off on the grill till seared on both sides, brush with BBQ sauce the last 5-10 minutes. (07/28/2009)

By SusanMarie

Cooking Spare Ribs

I know most real cooks might gasp, but I like ribs best when cooked in the crockpot. I just put the ribs in, cover them with my favorite barbecue sauce, and cook til tender. I usually pop them under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp them up. Always delicious. (I have a saying: If you can't cook it in the crockpot, then you shouldn't eat it!) (07/28/2009)

By dse77

Cooking Spare Ribs

I agree with the crockpot because slow cooking makes those ribs fall off the bone tender ;-) If you do grill them, roll up the rack (not tight), secure with a skewer and grill them standing up on end instead of laying down because that helps them keep moisture. (07/29/2009)

By Deeli

Cooking Spare Ribs

Do you mean in the oven? Preheat to 450 degrees F, cover the bottom of a baking sheet with foil (a huge help at cleanup time), put in the ribs in a single layer (rub and/or sauce should be put on them), turn the oven down to 350F, put in ribs for about 25 minutes, turn over, and leave in another 20 minutes. These times are approximate. (07/29/2009)

By Yankeedog

Cooking Spare Ribs

Some times I fry them, and then sometimes I boil them and then take the juice and cook it with the rice and put ribs on top until the rice is done, like cooking chicken and rice. We love it that way. That's what I'm having tonight. (07/30/2009)

By sallysue

Cooking Spare Ribs

I boil them first, then put them on the BBQ to brown or put them in the oven to brown. (08/07/2009)

By Lorraina

Cooking Spare Ribs

Bubba's Ribs

• wash ribs
  • I cut them into 3-5 bone width - easier to handle
  • sprinkle lemon-pepper on both sides
  • lay face down (bone ends up) on Saran wrap
  • fold to the inside of rib
  • lay face down on Reynolds aluminum foil, shiny side out
  • fold to the inside of rib
  • pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F
  • place on cookie sheet on center self location
  • cook for two (2) hours
  • leave in the oven (no heat) for 30 minutes
  • place on a cutting board at the sink's edge
  • make a "boat" out of the foil
  • slip the Saran wrap from around ribs
  • juice will stay in foil
  • twist bones and pull out
  • cut up meat and place in a bowl

OR
  • place on grill for smoke flavoring - no direct heat

Lock your door so the neighbors can't get in.
Enjoy.
(08/08/2009)

By JohnLuse

Cooking Spare Ribs

Bubba's Ribs Additional Information

Saran wrap is thicker than the other brands of wrap. I can assure you that the Saran wrap will not melt, if it is placed inside the Reynolds aluminum foil. I have been using this recipe for over 12 years and I have never, not even once, had the Saran wrap melt.
(08/31/2009)

By JohnLuse

Cooking Spare Ribs

Bubba, plastic wrap releases cancer causing toxins when heated. I truly hope you stop using it for cooking and just use two pieces of foil for your ribs instead. (09/01/2009)

By Deeli