Barbecued Spare Ribs Recipes

Category BBQ & Grill
Ribs are a barbecue favorite. This page contains barbecued spare ribs recipes.

• 2-1/2 - 3 lbs. pork side ribs
  • 2 - 3 cloves garlic chopped (to taste)
  • 2 - 3 small cooking onions chopped
  • Salt to taste
  • BBQ sauce of your choice

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Cut pork side into ribs. Usually 2 ribs per piece. Place ribs in a pot and cover with cold water and bring to a boil.

Reduce to simmer and allow to cook for approx. 1/2 hour. Drain and place ribs in a long and flat glass dish.

Place onions and garlic over ribs and sprinkle gently with salt (or eliminate salt if using heavily spiced BBQ sauce). Completely cover all ribs with sauce of your choice.

Bake uncovered for at least 1 hour. This can be ignored in the oven for much longer if you are not home if the temperature is reduced to 300 degrees F. The longer the meat cooks the more tender it will be.

Note: I prefer a honey-garlic or a smoked BBQ sauce for this dish. Serve with mashed potatoes and broccoli or green beans for added colour.

Servings: 6
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 60 Minutes

By Darlene in Mississauga, Ontario

• 1 Tbsp. flour
  • 1 Tbsp. mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped onion
  • 1/4 tsp. cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice

Directions:

Cut spareribs in serving pieces; dredge in flour. Brown in 2 tablespoons hot fat. When browned, pour off excess fat. Blend mustard and flour to make a paste; add other ingredients and pour mixture over spareribs. Simmer all together about 20 minutes, then bake 1 hour in 300 degree F oven.

By Robin from Washington, IA

My husband loves these! Any fan of barbecue will probably love this recipe!

• 3-4 lb. country-style ribs
  • 2 onions, sliced
  • 4 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 4 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 8 oz. ketchup
  • 1 cup water

Directions:

Place ribs, seasoned with salt and pepper, in roaster and top with sliced onion. Mix the remaining ingredients and pour over the ribs and onions. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 2 hours. Baste ribs occasionally during baking. Remove the cover for last 15 minutes so ribs can brown.

Servings: 6-8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 2 Hours

By Robin from Washington, IA

Ingredients

• 2 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup orange marmalade
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
  • 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 medium onion, minced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 slabs lean spareribs (around 3 1/2 lbs.)

Directions

In a medium saucepan, bring the ketchup, orange marmalade, tomato paste, mustard, WSS, onion, and garlic to a boil over medium-low heat and simmer, partially covered for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the spareribs, meaty-side up, on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the spareribs with one-third of the bbq sauce and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the spareribs over, coat with half the remaining BBQ sauce, and bake for another 20 minutes. Turn the spareribs meaty-side up again, coat with the remaining bbq sauce, and bake for 20 minutes.

Cut the spareribs into serving pieces and serve hot or cold.

My boys go wild for this! It's especially handy to make ahead and serve during the busy season, either as a meat entree for dinner, or as an appetizer in the evening.

Source: It comes from the Everyday Cookbook: Weekends are Entertaining.

By LovingLynden from Lynden, WA

Kris0 found this helpful

• 1 cup vinegar
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp. ground mustard
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 2 pounds pork spareribs

Directions

These ribs are so simple to prepare. Start them at noon or let them cook all day long for fall-off-the-bone tenderness. Combine the ingredients in a slow cooker or crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until tender.

If anyone has a recipe for barbecued spareribs, I would love to have it. If it isn't too much trouble can you tell me all steps involved, as I am not very experienced with chicken or ribs. I usually just cooks burgers and hot dogs. Thanks a lot for any advice and recipes!

P.J. from Delaware

Answers

PJ,
I found this to be very easy and the ribs are nice and tender. Put the ribs in the oven on about 400 for 1/2 hr. uncovered. After the 1/2 hour I than cover with foil and bring the temp. down to 250 for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Than you can either do one of the following. I use Sweet Baby Rays Sauce or whatever you prefer pour on and leave uncovered for about 1/2 hr. OR I put them in the fridge for the next day for grilling. Piece of foil on the grill with holes for venting purposes. Pour some sauce on them and let them heat up for about 20 mins or until them seem hot. You are ready and they are nice and tender falling right off the bone. Hope this works for you as well as it does for me. Good Luck.
Barb from PA

My favorite way to do chicken on the grill is to marinate it in Italian salad dressing for a couple of hours (or overnight) before putting on the grill. If I'm doing bone-in, I usually boil the chicken first, then marinate it before grilling. For ribs, I marinate in the following:
2/3 c. salad oil
1/2 c. vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. parsley (or Italian seasoning)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. minced onion
1 Tbs. lemon juice
This marinade makes the ribs very tender and tasty. Enjoy!

You can also go to foodnetwork.com and get lots of recipes and ideas there. My husband and son use that site a lot. Emeril has a great rub you put on first (set overnight) and then a bbq sauce during smoking/grilling. They are very good. Type in spare ribs and the one for smoked bbq ribs is the one we have tried.

Different parts of the country use different methods for barbecue, but to me the smoke is the thing. I usually use a marinade based on vinegar, mustard, peppers and garlic, with anything else that sounds good at the time. If you don't have time to marinate it just add a can (or more, depending on how much you're making) of beer to the mix and parboil the meat very briefly. Then slow-grill using your choice of flavor wood. I prefer hickory for pork, but sometimes use various combinations of fruitwoods. I avoid mesquite on pork; it's great for beef and okay for chicken but IMO it just doesn't work on pork.

try looking at www.kraftkitchen.com - they have lots of grilling recipes

Here is a link to a Kansas City Style Ribs recipe that is excellent. Enjoy!

http://www.reci  le-barbecue-ribs

Does anyone have a good recipe for "Dry Garlic Spareribs"?

Barbara from B.C.

Answers

Here is a link to a good one that Connie posted:

http://www.thri  5096254.tip.html

3 tsp soya sauce 3 tbs vinegar (rice vinegar)
3 tbs garlic powder or salt 6 drops of sesame oil
2 pinches of pepper pinch of salt
3/4 c flour 1/2 c cornstarch
veg oil for cooking

Combine soya sauce and rice vinegar,garlic salt, pepper, sesame into large glass bowl, add ribs toss well marinate over night when ready add cooking oil,2 in deep ,heat in a strong bag add all the flour mixture,toss well fry in batches till brown and crisp. Very good

BREADED DRY SPARERIBS

4-5 lbs. ribs
3/4c soya sauce
3/4c water
4-6 cloves garlic,minced
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1 pkg. shake and bake coating mix
2c. cron flakes, crushed,fine

Combine ribs with soya,water,garlic and onion salt

Marinade at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.

Drain, throw marinade away

Mix shake and bake mix and corn flakes, put in plastic bag and shake the pieces to coat

Bake 400deg. for @ 30-45 min depending on the size of the ribs.

These will melt in your mouth

BREADED DRY SPARERIBS

4-5 lbs. ribs
3/4c soya sauce
3/4c water
4-6 cloves garlic,minced
1/2 tsp. onion salt
1 pkg. shake and bake coating mix
2c. cron flakes, crushed,fine

Drain, throw marinade away

These will melt in your nouth

Thank you so much to you all for the recipes! they all sound really good,I hope to try them all Barbara.

I am looking for recipe for spareribs made with coke. It was great and tasted just like from a Chinese restaurant.

Nicole From Cornwall Ontario

Answers

I have used Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Faygo Rock n Rye. I have also used the diet versions of all these and it made no difference. I usually soak my ribs for several hours in a mix of the pop, chopped garlic, salt, freshly ground pepper and whatever else I feel like. Then I grill the ribs. I mix premade BBQ sauce with the marinating liquid (1/4 marinade to 3/4 BBQ sauce) and baste. To serve I boil some of the remaining pop and mix with more BBQ sauce. My husband and I love Emeril's Kicked Up BBQ, Sweet Baby Ray's and Sticky Fingers.

Coca Cola BBQ Sauce

2 cups Coca-Cola
2 cups catsup
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 onion large onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons chili powder
3 tablespoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook slowly for 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally. Let cool.

Place the ribs in a glass baking dish and pour Coca Cola BBQ sauce all over, cover, place in fridge and let marinade overnight. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and slow cook in the oven 3 to 4 hours at about 300 or grill over indirect heat.

Ingredients

• 4 lb. spareribs
  • 2 Tbsp. shortening
  • 1 med. onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. butter
  • 2 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. mustard
  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 cup diced celery

Directions

Brown ribs on both sides in shortening in Dutch oven. Brown onion in butter in skillet. Add remaining ingredients and 1 cup water to onion, heating until very hot. Pour over ribs. Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 3/4 hours.

By Robin from Washington, IA