Create Gifts From Plant Cuttings

Category House Plants
A wonderful gift can be grown from your own house plants. This guide is about creating gifts from plant cuttings.

Take plant cuttings now from plants such as spider plant, Christmas cactus, geraniums, etc. to use for quick inexpensive gifts later in the season. Even Dallas/Boston ferns can be divided into smaller plants. That way your cuttings will be established before it's time to give them away.

By Cheryl from Trinity, NC

I wouldn't doubt that many of you have forsythia. I have the Lynwood Gold hybrid. Now is a good time to root cuttings for giving to friends and relatives. They are so easy to root, they will root most anywhere, under most conditions, even in a glass of water.

What are you waiting for? Snap off a few pieces, put them in damp soil in a shady place. Within two weeks you should have what I have here, (they do root quickly). You will be remembered fondly every spring!

Link: I don't have a picture of my own in bloom. Here's a link to a nice shot.

Root several plant cuttings in soil in empty sour cream or cottage cheese containers, yogurt containers or cut down plastic bottles. Drill or punch a few drainage holes. Pick up a few cheap pots, large mugs or whatever at yard sales and you have an "almost" free gift.

By Linda

Succulents are easy to propagate and equally easy to grow. This makes them a good and often inexpensive choice for gift giving. This is a guide about giving succulents as gifts.

Succulent Plants Make Wonderful Gifts

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

For a thrifty gift this year, I decided to give pieces of my newly trimmed houseplants that I had rooted with a little poem attached. I ran into an issue finding decent priced pots to plant them in this non repotting time of year. So always looking for ways to recycle, I used some of my rinsed and delabeled aluminum cans in various sizes! Simply turn them on their side and with a metal bit on your drill poke a few drainholes about a quarter of the way up the can (Hence creating a retainer for water without drainage all over your counter). Put a coffee filter in the bottom, just like you would in the basket to make coffee and fill with your potting soil and water.

Viola! (-: attach a kitchey little poem about your "Friendship, Blessing, Love (Pick a theme that fits your receiver) Plant". This works great with plants that give off starts like a spider plant or creeping jasper. Dress up the can as needed, a pretty bag or glitter works great!

By Rebecca from Coos Bay, OR

I often give plants that I have started from cuttings as gifts. To brighten these up I use a water pic from the florist with one or 2 blossoms from my yard to add a bit of color. I stick the pic into the soil, and make a bow that matches in color or compliments the flowers or the pot and voila! This would be at least $20 at a flower shop!

By Linda

Some great tips for making hanging baskets and starting plants from cuttings.