CurtainsDecorating

Curtain and Throw Pillow Colour Advice

Could you all please help me with choosing a colour for my curtains and throw pillows? My walls are white and my furniture is dark brown and orange. The orange looks like a lighter shade of brown. I can't paint since it's a rental. Please help. I am confused and don't even know where to start.

You could use some pale yellow, green and the same shade of orange for accent pieodds

Hi,

My favorite color is the shade of your furniture and room.

I looked up a palette of colors that might go good with your basic colors. Here it is:

https://www.goo  AtUUsd3lYx_oM%3A

Have fun decorating and remember that you can look in the fabric remnants bin at Walmart and make your own.

Let us know how it turns out!

Merry Christmas!

----Robyn

A brown and white print for the curtains, and accents in mat/cushions of leaf-green.

In a rental, the only way to add color and interest is in your accessories. This is also where you bring in your personality. Not knowing what you like, it is difficult to advise on specific colors. You basically have a blank canvas to work with, with dark, neutral furniture. Do you love wild, bright colors? Then choose lime, lemon, orange or red. Do you like softer pastels? Peach, teal, butter yellow, even lavender are beautiful with brown. I used a soft teal, tan and cream with brown and it's lovely and expresses my more subtle style, but still adds color. Take a picture of a painting you absolutely love. Pull colors from that for your room! Also, don't forget texture. Satiny or "nubby" curtains, a knitted throw, soft pillows, etc. you can make beautiful pillow covers from garage sale sweaters or afghans. Choose ones with lots of cables. Have fun and choose colors you love. Look through magazines and pull out pictures you love. Put them in a "design" notebook.

I'm with pamartmam when it comes to checking magazines and pulling out pages of the ideas you find most appealing (according to your personal taste / preferences). Google images is another excellent source: try different key words in your search. Someone else mentioned textures and accents. Live plants are great in making a place feel like home. Buy a can of brass spray paint for the plant pots and perhaps a few brass candleholders. What fun playing around with decor! Live with your choices a few months then maybe switch things around or discard the things you realize you don't much like (after trying), then try a few new things. Nothing's written in stone, right?