Dashboard Lights Going Off and On

Category Cars
This is a guide about dashboard lights going off and on. Having a short in the electrical system of your car can be difficult to figure out the problem and a challenge to repair.

I have a 2013 Chevy Malibu, my dashboard lights go off then come back on, during that time all of the meters go haywire until the lights come back on. This happens sometimes multiple times in a row. My interior lights don't go out or dim, what could possibly be the problem?

Answers

Best Answer

Normally in the glove box of cars you can find fuses for the lights. You could also have sensors in there instead of fuses. Check this and make sure you don't have a short or one is not burned up.

The dash lights and interior lights in my Chrysler Sebring 2002 convertible only work every so often. Could you tell me what the problem might be? They work maybe once or twice a month.

Answers

There is likely some small problem with either the switch or the wiring. My interior light works for all doors except for the driver's door, which is a real nuisance. My son, who is a jouneyman mechanic, tells me to live with it. I suspect it would be a fussy thing to fix, and if you are paying a mechanic, might be expensive. However, if your dash lights are not working, that could be a safety issue. It might also be a fuse. Speak to your mechanic about it at your next oil change. If it was just the interior light, I wouldn't bother, but the dash lights are necessary.

The dashboard lights in my car go off sometimes, then on for a while, then off again or flicker. Do you know what is causing this and is there a cheap way to fix it?

By Jean M.

Answers

This happened to me and it was a fuse near the battery under the hood. There are 2 fuse boxes, one inside the car and one under the hood. You'll need your manual to check what the fuses all go to in order to check them and to make sure you have the correct one. (There's usually a schematic in the book on it mapping where they go.)

It is possible to find the information on the internet using a search on your model and year of car if you don't happen to have that. It could be a loose wire or electrical problem, but it's so cheap to check this, you may as well start there.

If you have an Auto Zone in your area go there. They have a code reader that can detect the problem. You buy the fuse, bulb, etc. and they will replace it for you at no charge. I don't know what I'd do without the people working there and NO I don't work for them and have no interest in promoting them other than the fact that they have saved me time and money.

Probably any of their competitors will do the same thing for you. I just use Auto Zone because they are nearest to my home.

all my dashboard lights are flashing. Auto zone said it has to with the alarm system

Jennifer Riddel

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Sounds like a loose fuse

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)

Is it just your lights (dashboard)? I brought my car to a so called mechanic, and the guy forgot to hook my negative cable (or something) back, and my lights would flicker, and every now and then my car would just die. Check that. Relatively simple to fix, and even if a mechanic did look at it, if he were a decent fellow, he would not charge you anything. Just an idea.

By Julie (Guest Post)

We had this happen and it was our alternator going out....which can be spendy...good luck!

I own a Mercedes clk320 amg. Sometimes after turning off the ignition and opening the boot, the dashboard lights up all lights flickering and the light warning says turn off the lights. The lights are already turned off.

Answers

It may be that some part of the electronic system is faulty and this triggers off a wholesale warning. This happened to us when a particulate filter clogged up and did not respond to high rev driving to clear it. One by one the warning lights came on, and did not disappear. We had the filter checked but it still happened. Now we have to change the filter. If it happens when you open the boot, it may be something to do with the boot interior light.

Cars are computerized now. It could be nothing. Bring it in to a reliable shop and they will test out the car. If you don't have the equipment you can't do this yourself.

On my 2006 PT Cruiser the dashboard lights will go off than back on. What would cause that?

Answers

I have a 2006 nissan quest and it is very hard to get an accurate oil check unless it sits overnight If your oil is low that last thing to get oil is the timig chain tenshioner and it will make te chain loose and it will rattle when it does this I add aquart of oil and the noise goes away

My dash lights flicker intermittently, at idle or at speed. When at idle, the engine revs a bit and if I listen closely, it sounds like there is an old tape rewinding, no joke. It is becoming more frequent.

By Charlie

Answers

Anonymous

My dashboard lights go on and off, my does the same thing and it also sounds like a tape is rewinding

Mine does the exact same thing. Had had the rewinding take noise for maybe a year now. Had it checked by various garages a d nothing wrong identified. But just yesterday my interior dash lights flicker and go on and off. Did you ever find the cause?