Dashboard Lights Going Off and On

Category Cars
This is a page about dashboard lights going off and on. Having a short in the electrical system of your car can be difficult to figure out the problem and a challenge to repair.

I have a 2013 Chevy Impala, the headlights and dash lights will flicker like there is a bad alternator when I turn the car on and intermittently (especially after turning the car on in the morning after sitting overnight). The battery charging station code came up, basic Auto Zone test showed a good alternator, but a low battery charge. I switched out the battery, the code has gone away, but the headlights and dash lights still flicker. Any ideas on what to check to fix the issue?

Answers

Best Answer

Most of this type of problem was in older Impalas (forum links are from 2006) so it may not be the same problem.

I also believe it is an electrical short and you may need a specialist to check it out. It may not be a dangerous thing but you will only know for sure when it is checked out.

I would suggest you take it to a dealer even though it may be an expensive service charge.

You sure do not want your lights to flicker out one night when you are on the road so be safe and have it checked.

I have a 2013 Chevy Malibu, my dashboard lights go off then come back on, during that time all of the meters go haywire until the lights come back on. This happens sometimes multiple times in a row. My interior lights don't go out or dim, what could possibly be the problem?

Answers

Best Answer

Normally in the glove box of cars you can find fuses for the lights. You could also have sensors in there instead of fuses. Check this and make sure you don't have a short or one is not burned up.

I have a 2004 Impala. While driving sometimes the dash goes blank where park, drive, and mileage shows.

Answers

Best Answer

It looks like you have a short in your dash wiring. Something is probably rubbing/touching occasionally and that is why it to only happens sometime.

You may/will have to take your car to a repair shop, preferably a dealer shop as an electrical short can be difficult to pinpoint but dealer shops may be more familiar with that problem.

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar van. My dash lights come on for a few minutes and go back out. What would cause it to do that?

Answers

There is a short somewhere, fuse,electrical system,control board panel.

Any time you have intermittent lights it means there is a short in the electrical system. You need to have the car serviced.

The dash lights and interior lights in my Chrysler Sebring 2002 convertible only work every so often. Could you tell me what the problem might be? They work maybe once or twice a month.

Answers

There is likely some small problem with either the switch or the wiring. My interior light works for all doors except for the driver's door, which is a real nuisance. My son, who is a jouneyman mechanic, tells me to live with it. I suspect it would be a fussy thing to fix, and if you are paying a mechanic, might be expensive.

However, if your dash lights are not working, that could be a safety issue. It might also be a fuse. Speak to your mechanic about it at your next oil change. If it was just the interior light, I wouldn't bother, but the dash lights are necessary.

Why do some of my dashboard lights come on and my speedometer works
only sometimes?

My 2006 Honda Civic dashboard lights go off and on while I am driving.

Answers

You have a short in the electrical system. You will need to have the car serviced.

The dashboard lights in my car go off sometimes, then on for a while, then off again or flicker. Do you know what is causing this and is there a cheap way to fix it?

By Jean M.

Answers

This happened to me and it was a fuse near the battery under the hood. There are 2 fuse boxes, one inside the car and one under the hood. You'll need your manual to check what the fuses all go to in order to check them and to make sure you have the correct one. (There's usually a schematic in the book on it mapping where they go.)

It is possible to find the information on the internet using a search on your model and year of car if you don't happen to have that. It could be a loose wire or electrical problem, but it's so cheap to check this, you may as well start there.

If you have an Auto Zone in your area go there. They have a code reader that can detect the problem. You buy the fuse, bulb, etc. and they will replace it for you at no charge. I don't know what I'd do without the people working there and NO I don't work for them and have no interest in promoting them other than the fact that they have saved me time and money.

Probably any of their competitors will do the same thing for you. I just use Auto Zone because they are nearest to my home.

all my dashboard lights are flashing. Auto zone said it has to with the alarm system

I have a r350 and all of a sudden the dash lights flicker on and along with the emergency signal lights that steady blinks and the trunk keeps clicking like its opening or closing both even when the ca is off

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado and periodically all the dashboard lights come on while I am driving and then go off. It has more than 300,000 miles. What could be causing this?

I have a 2006 Grand Jeep Cherokee. All my lights in the dashboard flicker off and on. What could be the problem?

I had my 2014 Yukon xl serviced. The service included changing and installing new spark plugs and wires. When I drove the vehicle after leaving the service department, the lights on the dashboard and the interior lights started flashing off and on and the door locks repeatedly locked and unlocked.

It did this for about 5 times. What could have caused my Yukon to do this? Since then, my remote start doesn't work and my seat heater doesn't work.

I have a 2008 F-150 my battery, check engine, and maintenance light turn on and off at the same time only for a half a second, but continue to do so every few minutes. At the same time my temp gage is the only gage that drops then goes back to normal. I am not sure if it's related to the problem, but my AC stopped working at the same time. Any suggestions on what to start with?

Answers

Intermittent problems usually mean theres a short in the electrical system. You should take it in for servicing

I drive an older vehicle also and all the lights drive me nuts.

Most of the time it is something as simple as a short some where and is an easy fix, but I have had issues where it is a cascade of bad, so my advice, is forgo trying to figure it out and let the pros look quickly, as the sooner the better if one of the lights is truly telling you there is an issue...like with the oil or engine...

It was so much easier before cars became computerized :( in some ways, but I guess better that they tell you they are getting sick first (flashing) before the terminal (solid light).

Good luck!!

Jennifer Riddel

Answers

By (Guest Post)

Sounds like a loose fuse

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)

Is it just your lights (dashboard)? I brought my car to a so called mechanic, and the guy forgot to hook my negative cable (or something) back, and my lights would flicker, and every now and then my car would just die. Check that. Relatively simple to fix, and even if a mechanic did look at it, if he were a decent fellow, he would not charge you anything. Just an idea.

By Julie (Guest Post)

We had this happen and it was our alternator going out....which can be spendy...good luck!

I have a 2008 Land Rover Discovery (3) and the dashboard lights shut off and occasionally including the indicators, but it still drives, why is this? It is like the engine doesn't cut out. It's very dangerous as this shuts off the indicators.

Answers greatly appreciated.

I am in the process of replacing the car radio of my 2014 Subaru Forester. At one point I started the ignition on second position (acc) then off again, the display was on then off immediately and all features and buttons were not working. I restarted the ignition it happened again. I checked all the possible fuses, but could not find any broken fuses. Any suggestions for troubleshooting is appreciated.

I have a 2000 Nissan Altima. The dash lights come on once in awhile and cut off once in awhile. Suggestions on solution?

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala and when I'm driving it makes a squeaky scratchy noise and the dashboard lights turn off and turn back on. The fuel temp & rpm things go up and down. And following that the service traction system lights comes on. What could that be? And would I be able to make a 6hr trip back home with it like this?

Answers

You have a short somewhere in the electrical system and thats why the problem is intermittent. I would take it to get fixed to avoid getting stranded somewhere.

I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500. My dash lights and the lights around my radio and heat and air knobs flicker at night when I hit a bump in the road, but the lights on my dash cluster are on durning the day. They will go off and eventually come back on but they won't attempt to come until I hit a bump in the road what could be causing this?

Answers

Sounds like a loose connection to me, the only way you can find out just what is causing the problem is to have a car mechanic check it out.

I own a Mercedes clk320 amg. Sometimes after turning off the ignition and opening the boot, the dashboard lights up all lights flickering and the light warning says turn off the lights. The lights are already turned off.

Answers

It may be that some part of the electronic system is faulty and this triggers off a wholesale warning. This happened to us when a particulate filter clogged up and did not respond to high rev driving to clear it. One by one the warning lights came on, and did not disappear. We had the filter checked but it still happened. Now we have to change the filter. If it happens when you open the boot, it may be something to do with the boot interior light.

Cars are computerized now. It could be nothing. Bring it in to a reliable shop and they will test out the car. If you don't have the equipment you can't do this yourself.

On my 2006 PT Cruiser the dashboard lights will go off than back on. What would cause that?

My dash lights flicker intermittently, at idle or at speed. When at idle, the engine revs a bit and if I listen closely, it sounds like there is an old tape rewinding, no joke. It is becoming more frequent.

By Charlie

Answers

Anonymous

My dashboard lights go on and off, my does the same thing and it also sounds like a tape is rewinding

Home and Garden Repair CarsFebruary 11, 2015
🌻
🎂
📓