Determining the Cause of an Extremely High Electric Bill

I would really like some advice because I'm in a terrible situation. My electric bill is usually around $100 to $110 and now this month it is showing up as $443! That's outrageously high! We contacted the electric company and they told us that it might be an appliance that's malfunctioning for it to be consuming extreme energy. The thing is how can I tell which appliance it could be? The electric company said that it could be our water heater, but is there any way to tell which appliance is consuming that much energy?

I would have them check the meter first.

This happened to an entire community not far from where I live. Turned out to be the company's fault. I suggest asking all your neighbors about it and perhaps contacting a local news reporter (although those are becoming fewer and farther between).

Oh no! That is extremely high to jump - were there any changes from your previous months to now? Did you run any appliances more than usual like air conditioning during peak hours or something?

I would definitely ask around the neighborhood to see if anyone has the same issue.

Also ask your electric company if they can come out and assess your meter and to find the cause as you've been a regular customer who's bill averages around the same each month!

Maybe you can see if you can borrow one of these devices from someone and measure each appliance:

dengarden.com/.../Tracking-the-Power-Consumption-of...

If your appliances are all normal, then you can give that info to the electric company to get them to help.

We did have an issue once where everyone's bills were wonky--they corrected it on the next month's bill. Everyone was double charged. It was awful.

Hope you have an easy solution!

If you can read your meter, check it every day at the same time and see how many kilowatts you are using daily. One of your old bills will tell you your daily kilowatts usage. Compare it to what you have done in the past to see if you are still having the problem. You could cut your water heater off for a day to see if it's an issue however, if it is overheating, your water would be too hot I would think.

Anonymous

Most Water companys have a one time forgiveness payment that you can apply for...last Summer this happened to me with leaks in my pool.