Dog Pees on Self and Hides When Startled

I adopted a Pom mix dog from a former co-worker about 7 months ago. My former co-worker doesn't run me as the abusive type, she speaks very gently and has a new born baby in her home, but I can't speak for everyone around her.

I adopted Olive to be my 2 year old Pom-Chi's companion since my husband and I weren't home for 5 hours a day. Daisy, my 2 year old dog, right off the bat loved Olive, but Olive from the moment she was put into my arms seemed a bit off. She's extremely timid and hard to potty train. She is very loving and all that, but if you raise your voice by laughing she pees on herself and hides. I need help since I am so in love with her I can't let her go because of this. I want to help her in any way I can. Please help!
Thank you and love always Olive's mom.

This dog is extremely anxious. She has been mistreated. I doubt your soft-spoken maternal coworker is the culprit. Perhaps it was the baby daddy. Or perhaps your coworker rescued the dog from someone else.

It doesn't really matter who it was. I just recommended to someone else that when you're dealing with a timid rescue that clicker training is a valuable tool, and I think you would benefit from it as well.

Clicker training is a positive, rewards-only training that relies on a conditioned response. Dogs actually like it. Here is one of the most popular clicker training courses: www.clickertraining.com/dog-training

If this looks good to you, get some training stuff and get started.

Pets Dogs AdviceMarch 28, 2016
📓
🐛
🌻