Elderly Dog Pooping Inside

I have a 17 year old Chow Chow/sheltie. She's started pooping in the house sometimes. She is stiff when walking around, joint supplements in her food have helped that and she is no longer in need of anti-inflammatories. She doesn't squat great, but has some better days than others. It isn't during bad weather. She doesn't pee inside. It isn't diarrhea or loose stool. Sometimes it's really hard, other times it is normal.

We have a doggie door for our dogs that is open night and day, and she uses it all the time. She knows that it is wrong. She will go outside 5 times within an hour, walking around the house, in/out over and over, and then poop on the floor next to us at the computer. She'll be half squatting with her tail up and just start going as she's walking around the house. Sometimes it is on carpet, sometimes it is on the linoleum.

I've tried making her go outside every time she wakes up. She's a happy, loving dog and isn't in pain other than a bit stiff when getting up (so am I, but you're not putting me down either.) She still plays and trots around a lot.

I mentioned it to the vet the last couple of times she was there and they just said "she's old and is starting to lose her ability to know when she needs to go". She doesn't pee inside though. The only other time she has accidents is when she goes to the vet. It does scare the poop right out of her and that is just nerves.

We have one other dog that she's lived with for 10 years. They have never fought over food, toys, or territory. They're both spayed.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

By Cassee

Best Answer

Your Vet is right on. Your dogs behavior sounds just like my cat who has hydrocephalus and the neurological damage that goes with it. Sounds like her nervous system just cant send the message anymore. Not surprising given her age. When my cat has an accident (which is often) I clean it up quietly and tell him how much I love him, knowing he is doing his best and would never cause me any difficulty if it was within his control.

Your vet is right. At a certain age, it is just an old age issue. Thank you for taking such good care of this baby and giving her a good long life.

Keep loving her and enjoying the days you have left together.

My 15 year old Samoyed started pooping every time she got up off the floor. It seemed like she strained so hard that she pooped in the process. It's part of an aging dog and your dog can't control this. Sorry