ElectricalHome

Electrical Issues After Installing a New Breaker

I shut off the main and put a new breaker in to win a 30 amp line to an outlet (capping the old wires completely). When I turned the main back on, my microwave isn't running at full power, or so it seems.

Microwaves generally need a dedicated line. Do you have one?

Microwave instructions tell you how many (or is it much) amps you need for them and if they need to be on a dedicated line or not. We just got a new one last year replacing our 25 year old one and it had totally different needs than the old one, so follow what your book says.

If it still isn't working correctly, you may want to double check your wiring or better yet, have a pro look at it (sounds like you are very handy which is good, but sometimes with electricity it takes a pro to fix things.) Safety first here!! I have seen too many electrical fires in my day to ever endorse DIY electrical fixes!

Post back what you learn!

I didn't do anything on the circuit for my microwave. That's what I'm having trouble understanding.

We had wonky issues like you are describing with 2 lights. It took a professional electrician to resolve. The handy man (not) who lived in my house before me, had done all kinds of creative wiring.

It cost a small fortune to undo the mess. I really suggest you call in a pro. My guy had to test everything to see what went where. It was scary. I guessing my case it was a blessing to find it the way we did and not in a crisis.