Eligibility for Social Security Survivor Benefits?

My brother is disabled and doesn't get a lot from a disability check of $740 monthly. He would not be able to live on it if something were to happen to my mother. If my mother were to die, can my brother collect her SS or survivor benefits? They live together now; my father is deceased.


By Denise

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

April 19, 20150 found this helpful
Best Answer

Your family should be getting your brother on a waiting list for a rent subsidized apartment. The rent for them runs roughly 30% of a person's income. Most apartments have a good portion of the utilities included in the rent. Also he should qualify for some food stamps.

Has he had any training on how to live independently? If not, he should be receiving some of that. He should know how to shop, do laundry, dishes, a little cooking. Is he working part time, which is something that he should be doing too, he should have a case manager to help him find a job. I have a 46 year old mentally handicapped daughter that lives with me and with our income combined, which both are Social Security, we get rent assistance for our apartment and when I am gone the rent assistance will automatically roll over to her. She has known how to do the laundry for about 20 years, it was a learning process because I knew someday she would have to do it on her own. She also knows how to shop for groceries and how to ask a store employee for help if she needs it. I have taught her how to load the dishwasher, and being she will be on her own in the near future, because I have a new health problem that will make it so that she has to become independent quite soon.


She also has a case managers that when I am gone they will help her pay bills, help her shop, etc. Being my health has taken a turn for the worse, I am also looking at different types of frozen foods that can be heated in the microwave so she won't have to mess with the stove. She has learned how to heat cheeseburger sliders that are in the frozen food department, you can buy french fries that can be heated in the microwave, single serve size pizzas that can be done in the oven or microwave, there is also something called scramblers that are scrambled eggs with diced bacon on some type of a crust.

You can buy small containers of potato salad in deli departments, franks can be heated in the microwave. There is a lot your brother is going to have to know, unless you are planning on taking him in. I don't know what kind of training he has had, but I get the idea from your complaint that he hasn't had a lot of training. My daughter is capable of living alone with the help of her case managers.


As far as help from Social Security goes, if your parents worked enough to draw Social Security when they die, your brother should receive a certain percentage in Survivor's Benefits. I don't know exactly how that is figured, I am going to have to call our SS Office and talk to them about that matter too. I do know the parents have to work a certain period of time in order to qualify.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
November 24, 20150 found this helpful

Hello I am a certified medication aide I work in a reside care facility you should maybe Google some up on your computer and visit and come to know what we do its a family atmosphere and some are better than others as far as location, staff, etc... but best of luck I believe you would favor this choice as well...

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 19, 20150 found this helpful

The best answer I can give you is to contact the Social Security Administration. They will be able to answer your questions concerning your brother.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 21, 20150 found this helpful

Everyone with a disabled person in their family (or friends) should read redhatterb's advice as it appears to cover a lot of things that would help a disabled person be able to care for themselves should the need/time arrive.


You should take your mother to the Social Security office and find out what will be available for your brother. No one can receive more than one SS check but the SSA can tell you if his benefit would be higher (it would never go lower) when your mother dies.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceApril 19, 2015
Pest Control
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 01:11:42 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.