Feeding a 3 Week Old Puppy

There are a number of legitimate reasons you may need to feed a very young puppy. Check with a vet or pet supply store to purchase products intended to replace mother's milk. Goat's milk is also recommended. This guide contains helpful suggestions for feeding a 3 week old puppy.

I have a 3 week old puppy that I have been bottle feeding due to the momma dying. All he does is sleep and when I try to feed him he just spits out the nipple of the bottle. I'm starting to get worried. I do make sure he does drink the milk by using a syringe. Is there anything else I can do?

Answers

Best Answer

What are you feeding him? He needs puppy replacer, which is a special milk for puppies. Is it a puppy bottle you are using? Because a people bottle/nipple would not be the right size for him or allow the milk to come out at the right rate.

Best Answer

You can massage his throat and he will swallow. That's what we did when my sister's dog had to take pills.

I have a 3 week old Pomeranian that I started bottle feeding when he was a 1 week old due to the momma dog not having enough milk to for the puppy. Now that he is 3 weeks old, sometimes he sleeps over his feeding time. I'm not sure if I could wake him because he isn't crying. A lot of times I'll know when he's hungry or cold because he does whine. So, should I wake him up when it's feeding time or let him sleep?

By nina m from ohio, sp

Answers

Best Answer

I personally, would let him sleep if he is sleepy. He needs the rest. Give him a hug for me! I could be wrong, but that is what I would do with my own baby, human or furbaby. :)

My friend had a baby Chihuahua. It was given to me because the mother would not feed him; she didn't have any milk and was trying to wean him off I guess. Their house was also infested with fleas, so he's home with me. He ate one good time with supplement milk and the second time he wouldn't eat. He's just sleeping. Is this normal? What should I do? I'm worried about him

By Dawn R.

Answers

Best Answer

You are going to need to take your puppy to a Vet. You did not say how old he was, but a puppy that should be nursing requires the right food and schedule, and special care.

He will need shots at the right age or you may bring him along only to lose him to parvo later. See your Vet soon so your puppy has a good chance.

Best Answer

See a vet. When a young pup feeds, the mother licks him from below the navel downwards to stimulate digestion (as we burp a baby). So you may need to dampen a cotton wad with warm water and wipe as the mother would.

I have a 3 week old blue Pit Bull puppy that is away from mother. What should I feed him and for how long?

Ahmad

Answers

Best Answer

The best option is to have mother's milk, but barring that the vet has puppy formula you can use. I had a puppy that's mother didn't produce enough milk, so I took over his care when he was 3 days old. The owner of the mother didn't realize their was a problem until most of the pups died. Only 2 of the litter of 6 survived, the one I got and one another.

The above poster gave some good advice. Puppies don't expell their waste without stimulation. A damp paper towel will take care of that problem.

When the puppy is old enough to start eating puppy chow, the only thing I would recommend differently than the above post is to soften the puppychow with water, then mix cottage cheese in with it. This cuts down on the diarhea.

I have about a 2-3 week old teacup Chihuahua, but I don't know what I should be giving him.

By Av

Answers

Best Answer

A puppy of 2-3 weeks is too young to be taken away from its mother. I would advise you to seek help from a vet. Feeding a puppy this young regular puppy food could do more harm than good. You have basically a very new-born on your hands, and it needs special care.