Feral Mother Cat Not Feeding Her Newborn Kittens

A feral cat had 3 kittens and now they are more than 3 months old. Now she has had 2 other kittens. They are 3 days old, but she seems to forget about them and return to her previous kittens. She is breast feeding the old ones instead of feeding the newborns. What to do to get her caring for her kittens?

Your cat may have become a mother at a young age. With two sets of kittens to take care of, she may be overwhelmed. You may have to feed the kittens formula. You may also want to consider getting her spayed.

Thank you for answering. Fortunately, she is fully caring for them now.

I have had friends who have a ton of experience it this, bring the babies in and do round the clock feedings using eye droppers and such. There is a whole community of cat rescuers who pitch in to help with this...perhaps your town has such a group. I often see them on Facebook and the NextDoor site.

Call the vet if you are planning to do this yourself to get the right product to feed them...I am at a loss for the name of the "mothers milk" that the group I know uses...

You may want to work with the group to get the mom fixed also. They will put a tiny notch in her ear (at least they do here) so others know she is feral and fixed.

Prayers for the kittens. So sad that this is happening. I so wish people would keep their cats inside and spay and neuter. Sorry...this is not directed at you...you are wonderful for caring...just to people in general...post with updates!! There is a pet contest on Thrifty Fun...perhaps you could enter the kittens and then, if you win the contest, you could get money to help you take care of them. Look for the CONTEST button at the top of the home page!

Blessings to your lovely heart for caring!

Thanks for your precious advices. Seems she does not need my help with her kittens anymore. I think she was just confused in the first days, but now she's feeding them and stays with them.

She's been such a wonderful mother to her first set and she still have a strong bond with them even now, i guess she'll take good care of her new kitties

Thanks for posting back! I am glad the mom is stepping up to the plate. If you are able to trap and fix the mom and get the kittens socialized when they are weaned, it would be great! I know that is not always easy. I just get so sad when there are kitties out there struggling in the wild. Blessings and prayers for all!

You need to find a cat rescue group asap. If you are not able to there are good instructions on this site and on the internet. There is a mammas milk replacer available at most pet stores. Your Vet can help you out also.

They're fine now she's taking care of them. Thanks a lot for your answer