Mother Cat Ignoring Her Kittens

Category Cats
Owner's of cats with a new litter worry if the mom doesn't seem to be caring for them. This is a page about mother cat ignoring her kittens.

I was wondering if it is normal for a new mother cat to not be 100% attentive to her newborns? I would appreciate any advice you have for me since I am clueless on this.

By Kathleen

Answers

What is she doing? If you need to bottle feed, I can talk you through it.
Let me know what she is doing by clicking on my name and sending me a message.

Newborn kittens after bottle feeding, need to have a moist piece of toilet paper massaged over their hind ends and their pee pee area to make them go. If you don't do this they will die.

I have my own formula and I will send it if you request.

If you know someone with a nursing mother you could see if you could bring your kittens to her. She will most likely nurse them.
I had a mother get hit by a car and left me with a litter. I took them to a friends farm and their cat nursed them.

we have a newborn kitten that the mother left. She had 2 but, only took the one. She has been gone since 12 noon today, 5/9/17. what do we do?

A feral cat had 3 kittens and now they are more than 3 months old. Now she has had 2 other kittens. They are 3 days old, but she seems to forget about them and return to her previous kittens.

She is breast feeding the old ones instead of feeding the newborns. What to do to get her caring for her kittens?

Answers

Your cat may have become a mother at a young age. With two sets of kittens to take care of, she may be overwhelmed. You may have to feed the kittens formula. You may also want to consider getting her spayed.

I have had friends who have a ton of experience it this, bring the babies in and do round the clock feedings using eye droppers and such. There is a whole community of cat rescuers who pitch in to help with this...perhaps your town has such a group. I often see them on Facebook and the NextDoor site.

Call the vet if you are planning to do this yourself to get the right product to feed them...I am at a loss for the name of the "mothers milk" that the group I know uses...

You may want to work with the group to get the mom fixed also. They will put a tiny notch in her ear (at least they do here) so others know she is feral and fixed.

Prayers for the kittens. So sad that this is happening. I so wish people would keep their cats inside and spay and neuter. Sorry...this is not directed at you...you are wonderful for caring...just to people in general...post with updates!! There is a pet contest on Thrifty Fun...perhaps you could enter the kittens and then, if you win the contest, you could get money to help you take care of them. Look for the CONTEST button at the top of the home page!

Blessings to your lovely heart for caring!

You need to find a cat rescue group asap. If you are not able to there are good instructions on this site and on the internet. There is a mammas milk replacer available at most pet stores. Your Vet can help you out also.

Thank you for answering. Fortunately, she is fully caring for them now.

Thanks for your precious advices. Seems she does not need my help with her kittens anymore. I think she was just confused in the first days, but now she's feeding them and stays with them.

She's been such a wonderful mother to her first set and she still have a strong bond with them even now, i guess she'll take good care of her new kitties

Pets CatsApril 12, 2016
🎃