Finding Value and Information About Barbie Dolls

Category Dolls
First introduced in 1959 this still popular adult figured Mattel doll has undergone a few changes in its product life. This is a page about finding information about Barbie dolls.

I have 2 Holiday Barbie dolls both in gold gowns from 2000. One is white & 1 is African American, both are very pretty and still in their original boxes. What would the estimated value be for each or for the two?

Answers

Best Answer

People are asking around $25 to $80 for each one of the dolls. So you are looking at $50 to $160 or so for the set.

I have a Barbie doll with the markings on the buttocks On left side: TM
Barbie
PATS PEND.
(c)MCMLVlll
BY MATTEL, INC

Also on right side - 114
Japan on bottom right foot.

I have original clothes.

Answers

This is a Barbie doll from 1958. If it were in the box it would be worth a lot more. A similar doll on eBay is asking $88. www.ebay.com/.../173902468583?hash=item287d6515e7...

Are you the original owner?

Barbie dating can be very wonky and misleading (I have Barbies marked with an very old date on their butts, and a very new date on there heads--because the body was the old style and the head was a newer style--bought original that way)...it is all about the molds they use when building the dolls.

Without more info, it is hard to tell if she is an original Barbie or one of the ponytail gals that they reproduced for an anniversary celebration.

She looks very clean and unplayed with...and I don't see any green around her earrings which, unless she was kept in box pristine, happens to almost all of the original dolls. Although if she is an original, this would add to her value.

To me, the lack of green on her ears could also mean she is a newer gal because they changed the materials for the earrings when they did the repro versions.

Does she have the 1958 mark on the back of her head also?

There is an amazing Barbie group on Facebook and they can give you the best info. You have to ask to join: Vintage and Mod Barbie Collecting 1959-1972

They do allow selling on the site, some don't, which is why I like this group of ladies and gentleman.

This site also has some good info:

dollreference.com/barbie1.html

Post back what you learn about her! Barbie collectors often pay big bucks for their dolls...so hopefully you will have one that is sought after in today's market. The first thing is to find out exactly who you have and then we can work on her value.

I'm the original owner. My parents bought the Barbie for me in 1959. The head is original. She is in very good condition as pictures show. I have her black and white bathing suit. I believe she is worth much more than $88. Maybe I am wrong. In that case, I will keep her. I will keep investigating.

Thanks for your additional info! If she can be verified as the number one version of the blonde ponytail, I have seen them sold in the low thousands.

Do you have a good auction house in your town?

Take it there and get a professional assessment of her. I don't suggest selling her on eBay because there are scams with high value items going on. I would hate to see you get burned that way.

Best to have her professionally assessed and sold that way. If she is not a number one, she still could have a value best left to a professional seller.

The original bathing suit and earrings alone can fetch up to $20!

Post back what you learn!! Thanks for posting back.

I am so excited about this article I just found this morning. I can't stop thinking about this Barbie!! I have been a fan since they started.

www.thesprucecrafts.com/identify-vintage-ponytail-barbie...

Please take yours to a pro!! I have read this over several times and it does sound like your gal is a number 1 ponytail--because of the holes in the feet, and arched eye brows.

Do you read it the same way?

You don't say where you are, but I am hoping you have a good auction house in your town that can help you sell her. Post back with more info!! Thanks so much for sharing her!

I believe you should check out these two sites - just for information.

You should put your doll away in a safe place until you are ready to have her appraised and then you should maybe make arrangements to have her auctioned at an auction house that advertises their item up for sale. You may have to make a trip.

www.goodhousekeeping.com/.../

www.therichest.com/.../

You can have her appraised through several free online appraisal sites just to see what they tell you. These are fun sites when you have something that is really original.

www.whatsellsbest.com/.../dolls.html

Thanks for all the responses and all the ideas. I live in the northwest so don't know how many auction houses there are. Or where to find an appraiser of dolls. I'll keep looking.

You should try the free online appraisals as you may be pleasantly surprised (most people are).
They are very easy to use and this will give you an idea as to whether you need to seek personal advice.

I use Barneby's a lot for more expensive items but they do charge $17.
This is usually money well spent.

www.barnebys.com/.../

I have a 1962 Midge Barbie doll, bubble haircut, red hair, and she is in perfect condition, no flaws at all. I bought her in 1962 when she was brand new. I would like to know how much she would be worth, and where would I go to go about selling her and getting the best price?

Thank you,
Rose from Central Lake Michigan

Answers

If I were you I would check on Ebay to see if you can find your doll listed. Then I would just watch the auction to see how much it sells for. I am sure you could purchase a special toy collectors book that would provide you with values. The thing with thinking about selling it on Ebay is that you have access to interested people all over the world. I just did a search for 1962 Midge Barbie and it came up with a list of items ranging in price from $2.99-$125.00. Another option would be if you get "toy" shows in your area. Sometimes we have them in our area and they basically sell old antique type toys.

I have this same exact Barbie. About 5 yrs ago ones like her went
for about $800 or more on Ebay. Now they go for less. But that doesn't
necessarily mean they are worth less (in my opinion) it may just mean with less jobs/money these days that there are fewer bidders.
I also have the black haired one, which I got lucky and found her in a
.25 box at a garage sale and shes in MINT condidtion. I considered selling them on Ebay but decided to save them for my grandchildren.
When they are grown surely they will be worth more. Both mine are from 1959-60.

there is one on ebay now that 4 people are watching listed at almost 500 but WITH clothes. is it just the doll? www.ebay.com/.../252834775282?_trksid=p2385738.m2548...

It should be about 200 dollars. I read someone else's response and it says you should sell it on ebay but I think you should sell it somewhere else for more money. I think it would be a good choice to sell it on Antique rode show which you can google and find there website.

Anonymous

Her and Allen there wardrobe you

I have over 100 collectible Barbies in their original boxes- never been opened. They are absolutely stunning. Many are complete series sets. They are part of an estate. Mint condition. I posted a couple. How do I determine approximate value and what's the best way to sell?

I'm looking for information on the different Barbie dolls. I was just wondering if there was a place you could find the year and names of the individual dolls even if they don't have the clothes they came in. Any suggestions?

By gbk from Folkston, GA

Answers

Check out C.I.B. (Collector's Information Bureau). They require registration online but libraries often have their books in the reference section.

Personally I would call Mattel themselves. They must have or know where to find the information you're seeking.
888-7-MATTEL

Or contact them at this link
shop.mattel.com/.../index.jsp?display=store&subdisplay...

Any collectors' site should have info, or simply search for "collector Barbies" or a similar phrase via your fave search engine.
btw, I had to make even this one small contribution because you're from my mom's birthplace, God rest her soul. Best to you in your search.

Look on the butt of the doll. It should have the name and year.

How do I find the value of a Barbie that's more than 10 years old and unopened. Can someone help me out?

I just picked up some Barbie accessories. One is a tiny little ashtray with a cigarette. All the little accessories are in separate little cello papers. I was wondering if this is how they used to be packaged?

What is my 1994 Victorian Barbie doll worth?

By KL

This page is about how much is my 1962 Midge Barbie worth? Determining the value of that special old doll requires a little research.

1962 Midge Barbie

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Collectibles DollsAugust 12, 2014
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-11 16:47:50 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️