Finding Yarn for Charity Projects

I have a few people here that are wanting to help homeless youth out in Winnipeg. We have recently found out about a place called RAY that helps teens out with all sorts of everyday necessities. We were hoping to find some donations of wool to knit hats and scarves and possibly some material to make some baby blankets. Anyone that has any ideas let me know.

Thanks.

Contact local churches and ask them if they have a group (like a women's bible study group) that would be interested in helping you collect yarn or alternatively, if they would mind you setting up a collection box in their facility. Also ask about running a short notice in the weekly bulletin to let people know what you are doing and why. Be prepared for a few rejections but I can just about guarantee that most will be happy to help. (I'd ask any friends you may have who attend a church first, you may get all you need there.)

Another alternative is to approach stores for a donation. Do so at the beginning of the month if possible, as the big chains set aside a certain dollar amount of merchandise they give away each month. Ask to speak with the manager when you go.

Lastly, I'd write a letter (not an email) to the big manufacturers of yarn like Red Hart and ask for 'seconds'. They can only say no, and you'll only be out a stamp or three. Good luck!