Finding the Value of Collectable Thimbles

Category Miscellaneous
There are many collectible thimbles on the market, both new and in antique and thrift stores. You will need to do some research to determine if your collection has any notable value. This is a guide about finding the value of collectable thimbles.

Are these worth anything?

Here is some additional information (dates) added after original posting:

Queen Elizabeth II on coronation day 2 June 1953.
Queen Elizabeth II at opening of parliament.
Princess Elizabeth wedding day 20 Nov 1947.
Queen Elizabeth II 60th birthday 2 April 1986.
Princess Elizabeth at the age of three.
Queen Elizabeth II
Prince Charles as Prince of Wales 1 July 1969.
Princess Elizabeth holding prince Charles at his christening Dec 1948.
King George and Queen Mary

Answers

Best Answer

You have a set in an original box so this would make them more valuable but individual thimbles are selling for $5 to $10 on eBay right now. There are over 16,000 collectable thimbles on eBay right now (not very many St George) and I did not see a set but did not check other sites.

Since you did not give the date/age it would be difficult to check further but you can check eBay or Google anytime for current listings to see if the value goes up. Just enter St George Thimble and you will be able to check anytime.
A set like this is generally more valuable than single thimbles.
Here is a link to a listing (listed in the UK) to give you an idea as to how they are posted:

http://www.ebay  DLAAAOSwImRYERb8

Best Answer

The additional information would be nice to put in a listing if you were going to place them up for sale on an auction site but it seems this company made several different sets and they are all about the same value. I believe the value is actually less than a year ago.

You may not be able to sell your set (today's market - 8/2017) for more than $25 and it may not sell quickly even at that price.

Here is a listing in the UK (which is about the same as the US but more popular in the UK) for $19.99 and has several more thimbles. This may not sell either.

http://www.ebay  ZwgAAOSwdDpZcLzC

Just for information - it seems your names are showing 8 names/dates but your box only has 7 showing.

My mother has a Simon Bros. Columbian Exposition 1892 thimble and wanted to find out a realistic value for it - the photo is an example only found online.

Answers

Best Answer

It it Sterling? Mark is usually .925 or Sterling, but there are many other potential marks.

On eBay people are asking in the hundreds, but I see them selling only in the mid to high 20 dollar range.

I encourage you to check the sold section of eBay periodically to review the sold items as it changes daily. You may also want to watch (a button on eBay) one of the highest priced ones to see if it sells and for how much.

Asking prices are never an indication of value as people can ask for outrageous numbers. Only sold.. what someone actually pays, gives an idea of current market value. It also is supply and demand. If there are lots for sale, it drives the price down unless there is a huge demand.

Sadly also, the silver market is not what it was a few years ago, so I am sure that effects the price.

If you need help with links let me know!

Best Answer

The first price I saw is the place you got the photo from, $185

www.rubylane.com/.../Antique-Thimble-x96-Simons-1892-Columbian

If you go on eBay, there are similar ones from $50

Has anyone seen numbers on a Simons thimble before? Is this 1981 or 1891...lol. This one is Washington DC in sterling gold gilt.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

I think its 1891. You can always contact the company and upload those pictures. www.simonsbrothers.com/about.htm

I feel bad the picture blurs for me. If you look at your item and these websites, you may get the dating answers you need.

This site may help you identify/verify marks (you will have to scroll down a good bit to find or do a control key and f on your keyboard and type in Simons and it will take you right to it):

sites.google.com/.../metal-thimbles

This site may help you with the dating:

www.antiquetrader.com/.../

This site has an online chat that you can use to get answers if the above two don't help. They can also help with value.

I have found I get better values for things when I ask because I want to insure something vs asking to sell. Not sure if any one else has that same finding!

Hope this is helpful to locating the year and maybe getting you on the path to value if you are going that direction!