Finding the Value of Collectable Thimbles

Category Miscellaneous
There are many collectible thimbles on the market, both new and in antique and thrift stores. You will need to do some research to determine if your collection has any notable value. This is a guide about finding the value of collectable thimbles.

Are these worth anything?

Here is some additional information (dates) added after original posting:

Queen Elizabeth II on coronation day 2 June 1953.
Queen Elizabeth II at opening of parliament.
Princess Elizabeth wedding day 20 Nov 1947.
Queen Elizabeth II 60th birthday 2 April 1986.
Princess Elizabeth at the age of three.
Queen Elizabeth II
Prince Charles as Prince of Wales 1 July 1969.
Princess Elizabeth holding prince Charles at his christening Dec 1948.
King George and Queen Mary

Answers

Best Answer

You have a set in an original box so this would make them more valuable but individual thimbles are selling for $5 to $10 on eBay right now. There are over 16,000 collectable thimbles on eBay right now (not very many St George) and I did not see a set but did not check other sites.

Since you did not give the date/age it would be difficult to check further but you can check eBay or Google anytime for current listings to see if the value goes up. Just enter St George Thimble and you will be able to check anytime.
A set like this is generally more valuable than single thimbles.
Here is a link to a listing (listed in the UK) to give you an idea as to how they are posted:

http://www.ebay  DLAAAOSwImRYERb8

Best Answer

The additional information would be nice to put in a listing if you were going to place them up for sale on an auction site but it seems this company made several different sets and they are all about the same value. I believe the value is actually less than a year ago.

You may not be able to sell your set (today's market - 8/2017) for more than $25 and it may not sell quickly even at that price.

Here is a listing in the UK (which is about the same as the US but more popular in the UK) for $19.99 and has several more thimbles. This may not sell either.

http://www.ebay  ZwgAAOSwdDpZcLzC

Just for information - it seems your names are showing 8 names/dates but your box only has 7 showing.

My mother has a Simon Bros. Columbian Exposition 1892 thimble and wanted to find out a realistic value for it - the photo is an example only found online.

Answers

Best Answer

It it Sterling? Mark is usually .925 or Sterling, but there are many other potential marks.

On eBay people are asking in the hundreds, but I see them selling only in the mid to high 20 dollar range.

I encourage you to check the sold section of eBay periodically to review the sold items as it changes daily. You may also want to watch (a button on eBay) one of the highest priced ones to see if it sells and for how much.

Asking prices are never an indication of value as people can ask for outrageous numbers. Only sold.. what someone actually pays, gives an idea of current market value. It also is supply and demand. If there are lots for sale, it drives the price down unless there is a huge demand.

Sadly also, the silver market is not what it was a few years ago, so I am sure that effects the price.

If you need help with links let me know!

Best Answer

The first price I saw is the place you got the photo from, $185

www.rubylane.com/.../Antique-Thimble-x96-Simons-1892-Columbian

If you go on eBay, there are similar ones from $50

I am desperately in need of clearing an estate to both move on and survive to be honest. This was an unexpected loss and I had to leave my job to move from MA to Florida. Work is tough to come by and expenses are killing me. I have a collection of probably at least 50 thimbles as well as a ton of arts and craft accessories. At this point I need to consider selling everything. Where do I begin?
Thanks!

Answers

For the least amount of hassle, start a Nextdoor.com account (free) and post all the things you'd like to sell. Tag it with the words "estate sale" which will gather a lot of people near you. You won't have to deal with shipping or sharing the profit with the site.

i agree with Attosa about maybe using Nextdoor and labeling it as an estate sale but there are many pitfalls as this is basically a fancy "yard sale" and may not really net very much money.

If you have other things for sale and let's say you can open the house to let people look at different stuff to buy, you can advertise in different papers "Estate Sale" as well as Nextdoor.org and maybe make more money.

If you cannot open the house then you may have to set up an outdoor (or carport/garage) sale and have everything priced before allowing anyone to take a look. yard sales can net quite a bit of money if enough "sellable" items are available.

Collectible thimbles may or may not sell very well at a yard sale (but they can be easily stolen) as most thimbles are only valued at $3-$10 and at a yard sale may only sell for $3, if at all.

Craft supplies can be bundled and may sell for a few dollars but you have to remember that people go to yard sales (and estate sales) mostly looking for bargains.

This is usually true unless you advertise something special (maybe even thimbles) and then you may have a few collectors stop by but then, they too, are wanting something for a low price. You may have a few thimbles that are more valuable but to find out which ones you would have to research every thimble (maybe eBay and Etsy) and that is a tedious and time consuming job. (Thimbles do not always have a name to research so that makes it even more difficult.)

One thing for sure, any sales you may try should not be a "one person" job as there are thieves who frequent yard sales and estate sales and they are very gifted in their techniques.

According to where you are located, you may have someone come out and give you a "price" on taking everything but generally this will be a very low price (generally shockingly low!).

If you find you have to do this alone (AND I do NOT recommend this!) then I would suggest you set up either a garage or just one (front) room (that you can closed off from the rest of the house) (AND have NO bathroom privileges) so you can see everything that is going on.

Be sure anything valuable that can go in a pocket is stored safely and has to be asked to see or hold.

Have change available and only keep small bills where they can be seen when giving change. Have a safe place for larger bills set up before you begin any sale. Most people still try to use a "fanny belt" when having a yard sale.
I know some will think I am overly stating this but truthfully; I am probably not stating it enough as I do not believe it is ever safe for anyone to allow a stranger in their house or garage if they are alone.
The very best way to sell your stuff may be to load it up and take it to a local flea market as you are out in the open and that is a safer place to be. There are flea markets all over Florida so even if you have to drive extra miles this would probably be your best bet so be sure to check this out.

You may be able to list an ad on Craigslist and sell your thimbles maybe in groups or all for one price. You could list on other sites if you are familiar with how to use these sites: IOffer, FL4Sale, LetGo, OfferUp and more but these can get confusing if you are doing everything yourself.

A final note: Do not let anyone in your house that you do not know. Maybe a neighbor can help you. Make arrangements to meet in an open area - McDonald's, Burger King, etc.

Wow thanks everyone! this is extremely helpful, I will look into these sites and I didn't even think of a flea market Unfortunately this is a solo job I definitely do not want a bunch of strangers here at the house not to mention the house was left a disaster, its got wild cats I need to catch and 61 years of hoarded junk.

There are companies that specialize in estate sales. You do have to give them a commission, but they will price the items at what they are worth.

You have my sympathy on your loss. Your situation sounds very stressful.

Since it is just you, you may want a combination solution:

For the thimbles you may want to try one of the in person ebay sellers like this one:

www.ebay.com/.../quikdropofstuartflorida

For the arts and crafts items, pack up boxes by like item and sell them on Facebook marketplace at 10 a box (or less) with porch pick up only... this is a good how to:

hip2save.com/.../

If you have furniture that is not antique or unusual, I strongly suggest finding a second hand store that does buy outs and sell it to them as a lot. You will only get 1/4 of second hand market retail, which is about 1/16 of what it was valued at new.

If you have antiques, I would find a shop that buys and sell as a lot. Same process as above.

The last method is to see if there are auction houses that haul and sell it all.... meaning you pay them to haul it to their facility...around me it's 75 an hour to pack and haul, then they break up items into auction lots, sell at a live auction and you get a percentage of the sale. Here it averages 60-65% you, the rest the auction house.

Good luck!!

Thank you for responding. I hope some of the suggestions offered by everyone will help you through this disaster you are going through.

There is one thing I would like to point out about having someone come to the house to give you a price on buying "everything". Many people have an illusion about what some call "fairness" but, since I speak from having helped others going through similar situations, what "buyers" will offer is actually so low that only the desperate will accept their offer. I have seen offers of $75-$100 for a complete household of furniture and paraphernalia.

What many have not seen is the way most of these people remove the contents and the total disaster they leave behind. These people are not a "clean up" crew and will take only the items they can sell for a profit and many times destroy everything else as they move through the house. As a general rule, this type of "buy-out" will have a small crew remove what they want and be completely finished in less than an hour.

The "owner" is then left with the very time consuming cleanup and removal of the destruction they left behind. I usually compare this to seeing the aftermath of clean up that is left after having a company cut down some trees. Total shock is usually the reaction.

I do not mean that there are no honest or fair dealers around but finding one may be difficult.

Since you are struggling to do this by yourself, it seems the flea market may be your best avenue. Your biggest problem with handling all of this is time - as you will probably be dealing with this clean up for many months. Being alone makes this even more frustrating so you will have to reconcile within yourself that cleanup will happen but not overnight.

As for the problem with the wild cats, you may have to try and get some assistance from the local humane society (they do have cages to loan and they will pick up any cats you "trap") and sometimes even law enforcement. The problem with all of this is it is usually stated that anything like this is the responsibility of the "owner" and you may have to pay someone to catch and remove the cats.

If you would like to state where in Florida you are located, I would be glad to offer assistance in finding someone to help you if you are anywhere within my area. Of course, acceptance of any assistance offered would be totally your decision.

Some of the suggestions offered (by everyone) may not fit your needs but they may help someone else who may be in a similar situation and happen to see this article (even several years from now).

I feel sure everyone wishes you great success in dealing with these circumstances that have befallen you and that sometime in the future you will be able to look back on this period and smile..

I just got a large lot of thimble; about 8 have the TCC (The Collectors Cub) logo inside however the rest only have the original company listed inside. Were all the thimbles produced by TCC marked with their logo or did many have only the original company as I do not know if the ones without the logo are the originals or not now?

Answers

There is a thimble collectors club. Here is the contact information. www.thimbleselect.com/contact-me

I was always curious as to why some of the thimbles with "objects" on top were actually called thimbles since it was obvious they could not be used in that capacity. But they did make noticeable objects when placed on/in the thimble collector's cases/shelves.

• The answer to your question about whether all TCC thimbles had the company mark is no - they did not all have a marking.
  • This is why the value of TCC thimbles that have the certificate is more valuable than the same thimble without the certificate. The certificate proves it is a TCC thimble.
  • From my past research TCC thimbles were made in several countries and there is no record of how many thimbles were made in each country and no pictures of every thimble which makes it almost impossible to say what is or is not a TCC thimble.
  • Collector's knowledge is what these people rely on and there must not be too many around that will spend their time answering inquires.
  • Here is a site that has the most comprehensive history that I have found.
  • www.thimbleselect.com/thimble-collectors-club
  • Here is a site that has answered questions for me in the past so maybe you might check out their site if you have question about a particular thimble.
  • thimblecollectors.com/.../
  • A good place to search for pictures is on eBay, Etsy, Ruby Lane, Bonanza and probably other sites. Many of these will have provenance to show their thimble is a TCC or maybe have a certificate.
  • This does not always prove their case but does about as good as you will get.
  • Some of the thimbles were in a series/set so if you find a good picture of one style you may find you have several in that same series.
  • Maybe someone else has more information.
  • I love your collection - really neat.

Any thimble that comes with a TTC certificate has a higher value than without one. Collectors of thimbles will pay a higher price if you can supply them with this certificate.

Not all companies who make collector thimbles will add a TTC certificate to the thimble. Unfortunately, this bring in less of a price if you are selling the collection or looking to get it appraised.

Just like Precious Moments, Kinkade arts, Hummels, porcelain dolls generally and other such 'collectibles', the economics of collector thimbles as a precious commodity is murky and liable not so much to the laws of supply and demand, or the inherent worth/value of the item, but more in arbitrary and complex labelling and false value inflation. With these objects which can all be manufactured in different parts of the world and under different 'franchise' type arrangements, there really is no way to prove value aside from whatever 'certificate of authenticity' is issued.

All the answers here are why my thimble collecting "days" lasted minutes. It seemed like there was a lot of "creating" collectables by the company's own hype...and there were high prices and no later values.

So if you are asking about yours just to learn, I think you got the best info from cybergrannie. I am a fan of the site she shared. There is a Facebook forum you may like m.facebook.com/.../.

If you are asking to sell, tread carefully and do your due diligence using eBay sold auctions to match exactly what you have to what is selling to help you set your values. Remember value is much different than profit, as you pay fees to eBay and PayPal and that eat up profits quickly!

Hopefully you will have a diamond in the rough so to speak with a low supply, high demand piece.

They are lovely pieces! If nothing else, enjoy the beauty!!

Has anyone seen numbers on a Simons thimble before? Is this 1981 or 1891...lol. This one is Washington DC in sterling gold gilt.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

I think its 1891. You can always contact the company and upload those pictures. www.simonsbrothers.com/about.htm

I feel bad the picture blurs for me. If you look at your item and these websites, you may get the dating answers you need.

This site may help you identify/verify marks (you will have to scroll down a good bit to find or do a control key and f on your keyboard and type in Simons and it will take you right to it):

sites.google.com/.../metal-thimbles

This site may help you with the dating:

www.antiquetrader.com/.../

This site has an online chat that you can use to get answers if the above two don't help. They can also help with value.

I have found I get better values for things when I ask because I want to insure something vs asking to sell. Not sure if any one else has that same finding!

Hope this is helpful to locating the year and maybe getting you on the path to value if you are going that direction!