Finding the Value of Collectable Thimbles?

Category Thimbles
There are many collectible thimbles on the market, both new and in antique and thrift stores. You will need to do some research to determine if your collection has any notable value. This is a page about finding the value of collectable thimbles.

My mother has a Simon Bros. Columbian Exposition 1892 thimble and wanted to find out a realistic value for it - the photo is an example only found online.

Answers

Best Answer

It it Sterling? Mark is usually .925 or Sterling, but there are many other potential marks.

On eBay people are asking in the hundreds, but I see them selling only in the mid to high 20 dollar range.

I encourage you to check the sold section of eBay periodically to review the sold items as it changes daily. You may also want to watch (a button on eBay) one of the highest priced ones to see if it sells and for how much.

Asking prices are never an indication of value as people can ask for outrageous numbers. Only sold.. what someone actually pays, gives an idea of current market value. It also is supply and demand. If there are lots for sale, it drives the price down unless there is a huge demand.

Sadly also, the silver market is not what it was a few years ago, so I am sure that effects the price.

If you need help with links let me know!

Best Answer

The first price I saw is the place you got the photo from, $185

www.rubylane.com/.../Antique-Thimble-x96-Simons-1892-Columbian

If you go on eBay, there are similar ones from $50

Are these worth anything?

Here is some additional information (dates) added after original posting:

Queen Elizabeth II on coronation day 2 June 1953.

Queen Elizabeth II at opening of parliament.
Princess Elizabeth wedding day 20 Nov 1947.
Queen Elizabeth II 60th birthday 2 April 1986.
Princess Elizabeth at the age of three.
Queen Elizabeth II
Prince Charles as Prince of Wales 1 July 1969.
Princess Elizabeth holding prince Charles at his christening Dec 1948.
King George and Queen Mary

Answers

Best Answer

You have a set in an original box so this would make them more valuable but individual thimbles are selling for $5 to $10 on eBay right now. There are over 16,000 collectable thimbles on eBay right now (not very many St George) and I did not see a set but did not check other sites.

Since you did not give the date/age it would be difficult to check further but you can check eBay or Google anytime for current listings to see if the value goes up. Just enter St George Thimble and you will be able to check anytime.
A set like this is generally more valuable than single thimbles.
Here is a link to a listing (listed in the UK) to give you an idea as to how they are posted:

www.ebay.com.sg/.../332014824711?hash=item4d4da02d07...

Best Answer

The additional information would be nice to put in a listing if you were going to place them up for sale on an auction site but it seems this company made several different sets and they are all about the same value. I believe the value is actually less than a year ago.

You may not be able to sell your set (today's market - 8/2017) for more than $25 and it may not sell quickly even at that price.

Here is a listing in the UK (which is about the same as the US but more popular in the UK) for $19.99 and has several more thimbles. This may not sell either.

www.ebay.com.sg/.../272783653841?hash=item3f832c3bd1...

Just for information - it seems your names are showing 8 names/dates but your box only has 7 showing.

I have some old silver thimbles. Does anyone know how old these are or how much are they worth?

Answers

Best Answer

Almost all thimbles are low value and very slow sellers.

I thought it was interesting that an example given on ThriftyFun for a thimble in June, 2018 is still listed by the seller (and at the same price). $185 is a high price but lower priced ones are listed over and over also or the sellers give up and try to sell other places (yard sales mostly).

There are presently over 14,000 thimbles listed on eBay (all kinds and some are lots). Not very many are being sold and the sold prices are very low even for nice "decorator" styles.

You might try listing yours as a "lot" on eBay (or any site that you use) and start at a higher price and lower it if no one shows an interest.
In any case you will need very good pictures, showing all sides and any markings as well as the size.
I do not believe many people care if they are sterling silver or aluminum or just "metal" but care more about what design is on the thimble.

There are clubs you can join and try sending pictures and asking questions but unless they are special you may not be able to gain very much information as there are millions of similar thimbles and identifying can be a difficult task.

www.thimbleselect.com/contact-me

www.antiquetrader.com/.../

Can anyone tell me how old and how much this thimble could be worth? I can't find a sterling mark as of yet.

Answers

Best Answer

This thimble not knowing the percentage of silver could go for $20 to over $100. It is unclear what type of stones are present. This also could add more value. You show to a jeweler/antique appraiser to get more knowledge on the type of metal. Here is a link to others - www.ebay.co.uk/.../bn_16566944

Best Answer

Normally if the thimble was actually sterling silver you should find a mark on the inside of the thimble. I looked at the stones and they do not see to be of much value, at first I thought they might be tourquiose but now I don't think so. They do have designer thimbles listed for sale, seems like a lot of them, for around $35-150. A few are a bit higher but that is because they are gold and not silver. As for the age this one is hard to determine because you should find some sort of marking on it. I would try and check with an antique shop in your area and see if they can tell you more about it.

My dad traveled a lot for work when I was a kid. So, we had this thing where wherever he went in the world he would bring me back a thimble. (I had a lot more, but these are the only ones for whatever reason they were in my mother's garage that were kept.) There are no dates on them, but I know that we started the tradition around 1989 and stopped in 1997/98. They are all porcelain except the one from Israel. I was curious if these were even worth listing on eBay?

Answers

Best Answer

Not everybody is fond of eBay but they still have more traffic than any other site (Amazon and eBay are comparable but for items like this eBay is probably a better site).

Most thimbles are selling for $5-15 but you may have a rare one so think about checking them out before selling. Be prepared to wait for a sale as these may not sell very quickly.

eBay listings with a seller's 'hopeful' asking price:

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=vintage+thimbles...

Here is the link to eBay's sold listings so you can see what people are actually paying for thimbles.

You would have to research each thimble individually if you really wish to know very much about them. This can be a long and tedious process but sometimes rewarding.
Since you have some International thimbles you might want to ask some questions before listing them for sale.
Here are a couple of sites to check out and maybe email them with questions.

thimblecollectors.com/.../

www.thimbleselect.com/contact-me

www.thimbleselect.com/learn

www.collectorsweekly.com/.../thimbles

This site receives questions about thimbles so you might want to read some answers from previous questions.

www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Collectable...

I have a metal type Humpty Dumpty thimble where the Humpty Dumpty moves up and down. I can't seem to find much on it. It has the Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall Humpty Dumpty had a great fall etched on it along with 3 horseman and the Humpty Dumpty that moves up and down. See pictures.

Answers

Best Answer

This silver one is asking $54. If yours is not silver it will be worth less. www.ebay.com/.../361500668019

I am desperately in need of clearing an estate to both move on and survive to be honest. This was an unexpected loss and I had to leave my job to move from MA to Florida. Work is tough to come by and expenses are killing me. I have a collection of probably at least 50 thimbles as well as a ton of arts and craft accessories. At this point I need to consider selling everything. Where do I begin?
Thanks!

Answers

For the least amount of hassle, start a Nextdoor.com account (free) and post all the things you'd like to sell. Tag it with the words "estate sale" which will gather a lot of people near you. You won't have to deal with shipping or sharing the profit with the site.

I have a silver thimble with 6 amethysts from around 1900. I am not sure how to price it on eBay.

I have a yellow plastic thimble that says Elvis Presley, April 16, 1956 - Amarillo Texas.

I am looking for information for 2 thimbles, specifically, the age and value. One is a plastic yellow Tastykake and the other is an antique Miss Princine baking soda aluminum. There are from an estate sale and original.

Thank you.

I just got a large lot of thimble; about 8 have the TCC (The Collectors Cub) logo inside however the rest only have the original company listed inside. Were all the thimbles produced by TCC marked with their logo or did many have only the original company as I do not know if the ones without the logo are the originals or not now?

Answers

There is a thimble collectors club. Here is the contact information. www.thimbleselect.com/contact-me

I was always curious as to why some of the thimbles with "objects" on top were actually called thimbles since it was obvious they could not be used in that capacity. But they did make noticeable objects when placed on/in the thimble collector's cases/shelves.

• The answer to your question about whether all TCC thimbles had the company mark is no - they did not all have a marking.
  • This is why the value of TCC thimbles that have the certificate is more valuable than the same thimble without the certificate. The certificate proves it is a TCC thimble.
  • From my past research TCC thimbles were made in several countries and there is no record of how many thimbles were made in each country and no pictures of every thimble which makes it almost impossible to say what is or is not a TCC thimble.
  • Collector's knowledge is what these people rely on and there must not be too many around that will spend their time answering inquires.
  • Here is a site that has the most comprehensive history that I have found.
  • www.thimbleselect.com/thimble-collectors-club
  • Here is a site that has answered questions for me in the past so maybe you might check out their site if you have question about a particular thimble.
  • thimblecollectors.com/.../
  • A good place to search for pictures is on eBay, Etsy, Ruby Lane, Bonanza and probably other sites. Many of these will have provenance to show their thimble is a TCC or maybe have a certificate.
  • This does not always prove their case but does about as good as you will get.
  • Some of the thimbles were in a series/set so if you find a good picture of one style you may find you have several in that same series.
  • Maybe someone else has more information.
  • I love your collection - really neat.

Any thimble that comes with a TTC certificate has a higher value than without one. Collectors of thimbles will pay a higher price if you can supply them with this certificate.

Not all companies who make collector thimbles will add a TTC certificate to the thimble. Unfortunately, this bring in less of a price if you are selling the collection or looking to get it appraised.

I was wondering if any of these thimbles are worth anything?

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles ThimblesFebruary 22, 2018
😎
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Collectable-Thimbles.html