Finding the Value of Vintage Mersman Furniture?

I would like to know the year and value of this Mersman drop leaf coffee table.

Answers

Best Answer

Mersman was a popular furniture manufacturer that produced furniture from the 1870s until 1995. The tables were mass produced, around 30,000 in the 1920s and an estimated 20+ million over the course of production. Because these tables were so highly produced, they were in most every home back then. Because they are so common, they do not hold a resale value as a top quality antique at this time. Ive seen them being sold from anywhere from $15 to $200. $200 being an asking bid on EBay for a unique piece in pristine condition.

The tables are identified by the 4 digit numbers located on the underside of the table. From your photo, Im only able to make out what looks like either a 93 d or 36 P. Are there any other numbers on any other part of the underneath of the table? Ive googled both options, but since they are identified by 4 numbers, I havent been able to locate this exact table and Ive looked everywhere.

The closest I have found sold for $25 on EBay and it was a 1957 model. Also, I cant make out if that is another shelf underneath or drawer inserts. If you could let me know which one, I can continue to help you search. Im sorry Im not much more help. Im thinking this table in its condition would go for $15-$50 depending on if you are able to find a collector, etc. you may want to contact a local antiques dealer and see if they have any additional information on these tables. They were so largely produced that there has to be many people with additional information.

If you are able to locate any other numbers, post them below and I will help continue to look. Also, if you could post another photo from the side showing the shelf/drawer angle, that may help in locating more info.

Best of luck to you!

Best Answer

My understanding of the naming history of this company is that after 1977 they started using the name "Mersman Tables" which is on the sticker on your piece. This would put your piece after that and before they closed in the mid 1990s (I am guessing early 1980s).

Something is not right about your piece--and I am wondering if it was altered to become a drop leave--the drops just don't look factory to me--and I can't put my finger on why. Also it is missing the center (either a leather or Formica or tile center).

I would take the piece to a vintage furniture dealer and see if they can look at it and see what I can't regarding it being converted to a drop leave.

I could be wrong and hope I am and that they truly are original.

If you are asking for the value to sell it as is, in this condition, in most places, it would not fetch more than $10-15 dollars. There are just to many condition issues with the piece.

Now, if you fixed it up and created a high end, flea market flip style table from it, you may be able to fetch much more as people love doing that to these sturdy tables, and I have seen project tables fetch into the low hundreds on Etsy and at craft shows featuring reclaimed pieces.

Post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing!

Answer this Question

227 More Questions

What is the age of this end table? What is it made of and what is it worth? Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

Mersman made table in the early to mid 19th century. The tables were all made in factories and normally they used oak to make their tables with.

These items sold well back then and it seemed everyone had one or two in their homes. Today the value of the table is right around $25 to $35.

Best Answer

Here's a link with the same 35-62 style table in a set that sold for $35.00 for the pair in 2015 with a 30% disc. Add the 30% disc. back on and it's value then was $45.50 In 2019 the value may have increased a bit....so you have something to go on in comparisons.
uhurufurniture.blogspot.com/.../mersman-end-tables-with-storage-35...

Best Answer

Nice piece! Sturdy! Looks like walnut, post 1950s (probably early 1960s). Their numbers are like gibberish and not helpful in dating the pieces. The sticker and how the name is portrayed helps some--I am giving my opinion based on the look and my knowledge of furniture in the resale world--however--it does take someone seeing the piece in person to give you the best info.

As to value, sadly, this style and wood are the least popular of the pieces and they sell (SOLD prices) around $25-$50 depending on where you are and the supply and demand for the item.

I am in a very high supply location and very low demand--so where I would get $25 or less. If you are in a low supply, high demand area, you may get a little more than $50.

Start high, take best offer and don't be disappointed if it is below $25.

Nice piece! Will last the new owners for many years as these pieces were built for middle class homes and to withstand living with them and using them!

Thanks for sharing! Post back with an update!

Answer this Question

I have a six sided hexagon end table it looks to be in very good condition. The label says Mersman 38-5.

Answers

Best Answer

Considering your table is in good condition, or what I can tell from your photo, you should be able to ask around $50 for this table. These types of tables don't have a high resale value.

Best Answer

Mersman tables are well made but so many were produced (mid century) that resale value on most styles runs in the $45-95 range.

Answer this Question

I am trying to find a date, value, and info on this table. I have two and they are in fair condition. Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

These tables were made in the middle of the 20th century. The value is around $35 each, from what I have seen.

Answer this Question

I picked this up this week and was wondering how much it is worth?

Answer this Question

What is this Mersman #7380 flip top game table worth? What would it sell for? What year could it be from? I have found several Mersman tables, but not much like this one to compare it to.

Answer this Question

I've had this table in my home since the 80s. I purchased it from a friend that claimed it had been her grandmother's for years. How do I find a value on this?

Answers

Best Answer

Nice piece! It is probably from the 1940s or 1950s. These were quite popular then.

Someone has the exact table for sale in LetGo asking $140. That is a little high, at least for where I am. People can ask what they want, the value is in what someone will pay.

These often sell (people actually pay) from $25 to $100 with the higher amounts being for pristine pieces and the lower amounts for lesser quality. Yours has been loved on so it would go in the lower bracket where I am.

Furniture sales are super regional and are a supply and demand item. There is a huge supply of them around here so that also drives the prices down. Hopefully you are in a high demand, LOW supply town and can fetch more!

If you call a vintage dealer in your town ask how much it would cost to buy a Vintage Mersman Mahogany 2 Level Side Occasional Table or A Hepplewhite style Mersman table from them. That will be retail for your town. You can expect to get less than that if you sell it on your own.

Post back how your sale goes.

Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

The asking prices for similar tables usually run between $40 - $150 but furniture pieces like this are usually slow selling and we have no way to tell how long any of the tables listed for sale have actually been listed for sale.

I did find a #7170 listed as sold (?) on Worthpoint but you have to be a paid member to find out any sale information. But there is usually a lot of information shown about the item so you might want to read their remarks.

www.worthpoint.com/.../vintage-mersman-mahogany-level-side...

ThriftyFun also has a link that has several questions and answers concerning Mersman furniture so you might want to read some of the answers as most of it is really generic in that value of pieces like this varies so widely from area to area that stating values is really just guessing.

www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Vintage-Mersman...

You can always check eBay's sold listings to see what people are actually paying and where it was sold. There will never be very many items listed as sold but it does change over a period of weeks/months.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_nkw=mersman&rt=nc&_dcat=156316...

Answer this Question

I am looking to see how much I can sell this for. I found it on the side of the road and sanded, chalk painted, and sealed it. The pics are before and after.

Answer this Question

I have set with 30-3, 2 30-2s, and a 30-5 tables. Is this considered a vintage/collectible. How much might this set be worth today?

Answer this Question

I have a Mersman coffee table made of wood with a leather top. 54-3 is stamped on bottom.

Answer this Question

I am selling a Mersman end table #27-2. What can someone tell me about this particular piece and how much would you sell it for? Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

These tables normally sell around $50 to $125 each depending on the region you live in. Selling online is a bit harder and can take longer to sell. Plus you need to worry about shipping the sold item to the customer. I would suggest trying to sell in your local area you might be able to do better than selling online. You can start off by listing the table for the higher value and then lower the price if anyone is interested in buying it.

Best Answer

No record of dates / numbers were made available by Mersman so unless you have personal knowledge of purchase date or have seen it in an old sales flyer you can do like most everybody else does and mark it as 'mid-century'.

This style table or very similar tables were made at several Mersman factories and different dates so you will see similar tables but will have different numbers. I'm not sure a buyer really cares about the numbers.

Your style is more simple but most similar end tables have a shelf and drawer and these seem to be more popular and usually sell faster and for more money.

Sellers list their pieces for low and high prices as there is really no way to give a good 'current value' as pieces are never in the same condition and rarely in the same area.
Condition and location along with style are the things that help determine value.

You can look at similar tables (but all have shelves) to see that sellers are just putting a price they would like to receive for their item.

www.ebay.com/.../264452493726?hash=item3d9298d19e...

www.ebay.com/.../372441155425?hash=item56b7390761...

www.ebay.com/.../184225892813?hash=item2ae4b809cd...

You can check eBay sold listings for your table or similar tables to see what people have paid over the past several months but this is only for 'suggestions' as no two tables will ever be the same and may not sell for anywhere near the same amount of money.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mersman+end...

Location is important because shipping is expensive for large pieces of furniture. Some areas will like this type of furniture while others will not pick it up if it's free.
People are downsizing and furniture does not usually sell very quickly.
You may want to check out similar tables within your area to see if there are listings and if they are selling.
It is usually easier to list on sites like Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc and you can list it as 'pick up only'
Start your price high and lower it if no one shows an interest.

You might want to read previous answers on ThriftyFun.

Answer this Question
Load More

Consumer Advice CollectiblesMarch 11, 2016
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Vintage-Mersman-Furniture.html