Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias

Category Books
Some old books may be rare and have great value, others may be more difficult to place a value on. This is a guide about finding the value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge encyclopedias.

I have a 20 volume set of The Book of Knowledge. (Arthur Mee Editor-In-Chief). Inside it states Copyright, 1926,1927, The Grolier Society, Copyright 1923,1924,1925,1926,1927 by The Amalgamated Press (1922) Limited.
The books are hardcover, green cloth with gold imprint. The books are in excellent condition.
What are these books worth to a collector today?

By Kristy F

Answers

You can try this site:
http://www.book  book-values.html

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

I would be interested in purchasing a full set of the 1927 dark blue/green books with gold ship imprint on front if not asking too much and they are in decent condition.

I have the same set 1927 with the gold ship and coin like inlays. I also have a wooden stand that seems to have been built to house them. Let me know if anyone is still interested

Toronto

I have a full set copyright 1928 in good shape

I have a full set in decent shape. Says 1922 limited.

I have the full set in decent condition

Where can I sell old used books? I have a set, from A-Z of The New Book of Knowledge, by Grolier.

By Sonya

Answers

Old encyclopedias have no value.

Craigslist for $20.

In my experience the thrift stores won't even accept them as a donation. They are worthless now because the info is all online now.

See if you can find someone to give them to for craft purposes. As a set of encyclopedia, they have no value.

I have a complete set of The Book of Knowledge 1935 Silver Jubilee edition. It is in good condition. Any idea of the value of the set?
Thanks for your time:)

By Kris A

Answers

I don't know how old this thread is, but I am also interested in buying the 1935 set of these books.

Anonymous

I am also looking for a set of the Book of Knowledge in about the 1940 era. I am an artist and want the BoK for its rendering of the children's illustrations. Of course, the shipping will be a big consideration, as well at the price and if it is in decent shape. Thanks.

Hi David
We have the complete 1935 set. Where are you located?

Will you consider two sets of the Book of Knowledge set published in 1962 and the Book of Science set published by Grolier in 1963?

I have the complete set of Book of Knowledge from the 40's and annual updates through the 1990 + 1940's accompanying Grolier Encyclopedias

The books are hardcover, green cloth with gold imprint. The books are in excellent condition with minimal damage inside the back cover of book 1 only.

What would it be worth to a collector today?

By Diane M.

Answers

I have this exact set in good condition. Can you tell me where and for how much you sold yours? Thank you

I have an 8 volume set of the Book of Knowledge, published circa 1936/37. The latest reference to the British Monarchy is Edward VIII, describing him as unmarried. There is no mention of abdication or George VI. Can you please tell me if these books would have any monetary value?

Thank you.

What can you tell me about " The Book of Knowledge"? It's red and looks very old. The copyrights are from 1874 to 1918.

Answers

Most of these books have less value than you think, unless they are first editions. Take it to a local bookseller, or e-mail the Antiques Roadshow at pbs.org.

Looking at your book right now, I hate to say it does not look like it is worth very much. Not only is the used/rare book market pretty difficult, but I notice your book seems to have water stained and the cover is in poor condition.

I used to sell books on Amazon for a living, and what I would alwauys do is simply visit amazon.com or https://www.abe  ook-values.shtml or http://www.biblio.com/book-value and see what similar books are selling for. Even ebay.com is a good resource

also, almost every town has some sort of used book store. It can't hurt to go down and at least get trade value for it.

This type of book is on its way out of our modern society of internet users so only true book collectors will pay very much money any more.
I do not believe your book falls in the collectors category due to the large volume published and still available - if anyone really wanted one.

Your book does not appear to be in really good condition but you can still check out on line auctions to see for yourself exactly what these are selling for - usually not much money - if ever sold.

This book may very well be worth more to you that anyone else. In this day and age, only first editions or editions that can be proven to have belonged to a famous person of importance could be worth much.

I have a 1928 copyright edition of the Book of Knowledge, published by the Grolier Society. It is a 19 volume set + guidebook.

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

what r my set of books worth ex shape copy right 1925 have the whole set

I have a set of red colored Book of Knowledge with copyrights from 1868 -1923. This is The Children's Encyclopedia. Are they of any value at this time? Please advise

I have a 20 volume set of the 1943 Book of Knowledge by Grolier, plus yearly annuals thru 1953. Any idea of the value?

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

I have a complete set of The Book of Knowledge the children's encyclopedia. They are cloth bound, blue in color with leather spine and corners, and gold writing on spine. The editor in chief was Arthur Mee. Some of the copyrights are from 1868. Advice on value would be appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I was wondering if I could exchange or find out the value of the Grolier Encyclopedia. It is a 1961 edition with 20 volumes.

Answers

I have The Book of Knowledge Children's Encyclopedia, 2 volumes, 16 and 12. Copyright dates are from 1868 to 1919. They have leather covers, in fair condition. I want to sell them. Does anyone know the value of these books? I may have more volumes; I am still unpacking boxes.

By D. Israel

Answers

Usually encyclopedias are worthless, except for crafts purposes. But these are old enough that I would check with a bookstore that specializes in antiques. Good luck! Please let us know what you find out.

I have the set of 21 books. They are mint and didn't get much use by the look of it. The cover is reddish and has a boy and girl stamped into the leather. I am looking for a price and how to find a buyer.

Thank you!

By Dale S

Answers

I can see one volume selling for $12 on eBay here: http://www.ebay  b3f0e&_uhb=1

I suppose that could put the set at over $200.

I have the Book of Knowledge, the children's encyclopedia 19 volume set, plus the index. I would like to know the value of this collection. It looks different than the ones I seen online. It has some water damage to some of the volumes. Does anyone know anything about this set? Thank you.

By Yassmeen

Answers

Anonymous

I also have been trying to find info on this set. I have 2 sets of them both from 1923. They appear to be full leather covers. They are in much better condition than cloth bound editions from this period. I hope somebody can enlighten us about them.

When cleaning out my parents' home after their deaths, I found a complete set of The Book of Knowledge (20 volumes), copyright 1935. All of the books are in great condition except the 20th volume (index) which was understandably used more than the others. It's spine needs to be repaired, but is intact on one edge. Can anyone give me an estimated value for this set?

By Susan C

Answers

Was this ever answered? I too have this set and so I'd like to sell.

I have a 1911-1912 Book of Knowledge. What is the value in US dollars of this set?

By Willis from Shirleysburg, PA

Answers

About $10-$15. (Ebay)

I have a 1929 Book of Knowledge, 20 volume set, with original bookshelf. The books are in excellent, little-used condition, with no damage. It has a green cloth hard cover with gold imprint. The volumes are slightly worn on bottom spine and corners from sitting on the shelf.

They were owned by an 83 year old woman whose father gave them to her when she was five years old.

What is it worth today to collectors?

By Mark from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Answers

Do you still have them? I may be interested in them.

edchou AT aol.com

I have 20 volumes, in excellent condition, of The Grolier Society Book of Knowledge, Copyright 1931 by The Amalgamated Press (1922) Limited. What do these sell for?

By Lillian from Simpson, PA

I have a set of Grolier Encyclopedias copyright 1955 volumes 1-10. What would be the value?

By Debbian E.

I was wondering about the value of the New Book of Knowledge, 1 thru 20 or A to Z. They are white hard backs and copyrighted in 1967.

By Scott P.

I have a set of Grolier Encyclopedia plus, The Book of Knowledge for children and a set of The Book of Popular Science. They are all from 1951 (I believe) and all in excellent condition. I would like to sell them. Can you give any advice as to the value of the entire set?

By David

I am looking to sell my, The Book of Knowledge encyclopedia set, copyright starting from 1868 to 1912. How much are these books worth?

By Lynne

I would like to know how much these recently inherited encyclopaedias are worth. They are in fairly good condition with some fading to the spine. I have all 10 volumes, published by Waverley.

By M Staal

I have a set of 20 volumes of The Book of Knowledge Children's Encyclopedia copyright 1911. It is still in great condition. It is leather bound with an embossed "mother holding a child drawing" on the cover.

By Debra

I have a 1952 Book of Knowledge Set #1-20. I also have the individual annual books for 1953-54-55 and 56. Can someone tell me what these are worth?

By Ed S.

I have the complete set of the New Book of Knowledge encyclopedia collection (white and blue cover), in great condition. I was wondering if anyone knows what its value is? Thank you!

By chanel32 from Toronto, Ontario

I have a full set of 1939 Book of Knowledge in good condition with original bookshelves. I am interested in finding out the value and how I might sell them.

By RMB

I just found the whole set in my basement. They are in fair condition except for the first book. Do you know how much they are worth?

By Lindsey

I have a complete set of The Book of Knowledge Childrens Encyclopedia, 1911 copyright. It has a cloth cover and is in average condition. It came with Parents and Teachers guide.

By Kathy M

I've got a 10 book set of the 1935 Book of Knowledge in the original wooden box. They are in good condition. What is something like this worth?

By pcb from Edmonton, Alberta

I have the full 20 volume set of the 1931 Grolier Canadian Book of Knowledge. It's in excellent condition: no spine separation, no page tears, no water damage. They've just been sitting on a shelf for decades, so home shelf wear applies, but that is just yellowed pages (and nothing of the print has faded). I've seen versions from the 50s, in worse condition, selling for over $500. How much should I be thinking?

By Monica K.