Grocery ShoppingShopping

Free Expired Items

contest winner icon
I went to Sprouts today and an item on my grocery list was parmesan cheese for a baked chicken dinner. I came across this brand called BelGioioso on sale for $2.99. Sounds great because there's parmesan cheese as well as 3 other cheeses so I could make pizza too, but when I checked the expiration "best by" date, it had already passed, 7 days ago!

I decided to put the cheese in my cart anyway (since these were the last 2), and when I got to the cashier I asked her if I could get the items free since it's already expired? She said yes, of course, and apologized for the inconvenience.

I am not too concerned about the best by expiration, because it's still sealed and it's a hard cheese type, should be fine. I do not see any mold either. Overall, doesn't hurt to ask especially since they'll toss the food out right in the trash.

This happened to me, but I didn't see the expiration date until AFTER I brought it home, it was one of the soft (and expensive) cheeses, and it was TERRIBLE. I didn't think cheese could sour so badly, but boy did it. It was one of my favorite cheeses, too. It was so awful. I am seeing more and more expired items in the grocery stores lately- what's going on??

I hope you took it back! If the cheese wasnt sealed the way it was , I wouldnt dare too but I took a chance & it was fine!

I have no idea how come Im finding more expired items frequently now too or the expiration date is a lot closer to the day!

It is terrible how many expired items are on the shelves.

Earlier this month my hubby got terribly sick from a bottle of an expired coffee drink he purchased at a local dollar type store. These things usually have such high turnover in stores so he didn't look at the date (lesson learned sadly). It expired in December last year (this is July!!!) OMG!

When he felt better, he took the bottle back to the store and they gave him a refund. He also contacted the the corporate office. They offered a gift card...which was nice, but still. It was very scary how sick he was and that G-d it wasn't worse.

Stores need a good lesson in stock rotation. What gives?