Grey Hair Doesn't Hold Color

I have a dark brownish real color hair, but I just turned 44 this month and the grey is totally stubborn when it comes to coloring my hair. I like to keep it a blond color with highlights and have noticed that after going to the salon my longer grey pieces of hair were still grey, like the color was only sticking until the first wash. I use the color shampoo and the color leave in conditioner. I know that there is nothing that I can do for the new hair growing in, but what should I do about the hair that has been colored or highlighted that goes right back to grey?

I have asked at the salon and they just say yeah well some hair is more stubborn than others. I personally don't like paying people who answer me with a response like that. What would you do? I mean they have nothing at all to help me out and the lighter highlights make it look like it is just blond, but I am still so mad every time a professional can't help me! It drives me nuts.
Thanks.

By kmpick88

Try another salon. There are things to be done that they apparently are not addressing. You might even have to have color applied and then highlights done in order to cover the gray strands that show up. You can maintain it with root touch ups and highlights just when needed. Gray hair can be very resistant but a good beautician will know what to do! There are solutions!

If you are dissatisfied with the job they do or their attitude, go elsewhere. Find someone whose hair you do like and ask where they have it done. Flattery will get you the info/referral you want!

Go to a different salon with a good reputation. The salon you are going to probably uses cheap products.

Anonymous

I was a hairstylist for 35 years and color was my specialty. If you'll answer my questions here I'll be happy to give you advice. Just leave the answers in the same comment section that I am writing to you now.

1) Are you having 'all' of your hair colored one color and then adding the blonde highlights or are you leaving your natural color alone and simply having highlights.

2) Is your gray hair white or silver.

3) Is your hair coarse or fine.

4) Do you know whether your stylist is using highlift color or bleach for the highlights.

The top of my head is white. The rest is grey and natural blonde and it is highlighted. That part is ok. The problem is the top only that is totally white. I was hoping I could do something with that part at home and blend it into the rest. Perhaps with foils or cap. Can you tell me how to make the dye to take over the white.

Thank you
Doreen

Silver, thin getting a little coarse just applying color either touch up or the whole thing

1. Color then highlights
2. Greys are white
3. Hair is fine
4. Not sure
My greys are not covering any more so she says I should stick to chocolate color on my hair.

Natural hair color is brownish

I have grey/silver roots. I need to go to a salon and tell them exactly what I need. It will last like a week. My baby hairs last a few days. I have mixed between thin and course hair. It used to be very silky until I started coloring it.

My hair is completely gray on the sides, and over 1/2 gray/some brown elsewhere. I get just a one process color in a blond shade which doesnt take well on the sides. My hair is thick and fine. I used to go to the salon and get brown color and then highlights. Lately Ive been using a permanent blonde color from Sallys with a 20% Developer.

Anonymous

PS - In regards to Lilac's comment, cheap hair color products have absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of hair color. It's the type of color products being used that makes the difference.

For example, permanent, semi-permanent, demi-permanent, bleach, etc. and grey hair is indeed the most difficult to deal with.

Hi Katy M. My hair is white and I have an all over permanant colour ( Nice and Easy ) which I do myself at home. It,s a well known fact that grey or white hair can become coarser with age and this makes it especially resisitant to colour. A semi permanant or wash in colour will not cover grey or white hair. I always colour my hairline and crown first as it seems grow out quicker here. Hope this is some help to you. good luck. Jan UK

My hair is naturally dark brown as well, and I have some unruly greys as well. What I do, is go to Sally Beauty supply and buy the Ion colour Golden Blonde Hi Lift. After I colour, I mix the leftover colour with colour protective conditioner and leave it on for about 10 minutes, but after the initial colouring.

This will help with any leftover strays. I never go to salons any more, because I like doing my own hair because I feel more rewarded in the end knowing I did it myself! Hope this helps!

I have the same trouble I usually use a temperary hair color that comes in a tube with a brush like mascara. I have bought it from Beauty Supply Warehouse catalog. It is just a temperary fix and washes out. There is something that I want to try called 28 day mascara. It comes in black or brown. One application is supposed to last 28 days. I think it would work on my hair inbetween coloring. It is in the Hariet Carter catalog.

I have the same problem. I'm totally white around my face. I get my hair professionally highlighted. She uses I think 2 different colors. To keep me from looking white she now has to use a dark brown on me and the result is light blonde.

At some point I'll probably have to quit coloring altogether because my hair just does not want to take the color. It gets lighter after ever shampoo. I'm using a sulfer free shampoo she told me to use which helps a little to keep from fading as fast.

My natural hair color is dark dirty blonde, but haven't seen it in many many years. I am 46 and have alot of white gray in the front and crown area, so my beautician treats that area first with all blonde about an inch into the hairline. The rest I have low lites of dark brown thick and thin strands and it looks very good. I have to go every 5 weeks for retouch but I choose to have healthy hi-lited hair rather than all one color. It looks allot better and healthier as well. Also I might add that I use the 10 minute miracle spray every time I was my hair. It helps keep it soft and manageable.

I color my own hair and it's long below my waist and very thick and coarse. The gray is more silver than white. I found a product sold at beauty supply stores called Gray Magic, small bottle. You add drops to the coloring. I always add more than the directions, PLEASE NOTE, when you use this product it will darken the color that shows on the box so you should use 1 shade lighter if you require alot of this product. If you go to a salon, they should have a similar product available if not, buy the Gray Magic and take it with you for them to use. Hope this helps.