Hair Damaged After Perm

I had my first perm in September 2013 and loved it! However recently my hair has been falling out a lot more. I have noticed a lot of short hair where it has broken. This is like an inch long from my scalp and is along my parting so really sticks up! I hardly straighten my hair and try to leave it dry naturally as much as possible. I also try not to wash it too often, as this is when it usually falls out. I haven't coloured my hair for about 6 weeks so can't think what could be causing this.

Please help!

By Sophie

More than likely the perm isn't what is causing the damage. For many years I got perms about every three months and never experienced any breakage. In between I was coloring my hair, however, I was following the advice of my sister who was a hair stylist. She didn't do my hair because she lived too far away, but she told me how long to wait in between the chemical processes.

People do lose a certain number of hairs every day and new hair grows in, unless there is a reason for new hair to not replace it. When the hair grows in along an area like a part, you will notice it, in comparison to if it is growing in to another area. I can't figure out why you would want to get a perm and then occasionally straighten it.

I think it was the combination of hair coloring and perming. It probably had some breakage along the place where the rubber band crossed the perm rod. Colored hair is fragile to begin with. If it had peroxide in it, the color was permanent.

A strand of hair just can't take both even when the color and perm solution are done weeks apart. Some hair can tolerate it better than other though. Perhaps yours just couldn't take all of that damage. Coloring and perming always damage hair. Don't worry, it will all grow back.

Give Pro Naturals a try.