Healthy Gluten Free Banana Cookies

Category Gluten Free
Following a gluten free diet diet does not mean you can never have another cookie. Give these a try. This is a guide about healthy gluten free banana cookies.

Don't pitch out those overripe bananas, make some cookies! When freshly baked, these cookies are crispy on the outside and gummy on the inside. When stored in a container, they lose some of the crispness but are still yummy. They are gluten free, healthy, low in sugar and have no added fat. I figured that each cookie has approximately 52 calories.

Total Time: less than an hour

Yield: 9 two inch cookies

Source: I have seen several versions of this type cookie using oatmeal. I decided to try Rice Chex and found that it has a different taste and different texture.

• 1 ripe banana
  • 1 cup crushed Rice Chex
  • 1/3 cup raisins

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. I used my toaster oven.
  2. Place banana on a plate and mash it with a fork until mushy.
  3. Place Rice Chex in a bowl and crush them with your hands. It takes almost 2 cups to make 1 cup of crushed.
  4. Cut each raisin in half (optional).
  5. Stir Rice Chex, banana and raisins in a medium mixing bowl until mixed well.
  6. Place foil on a small baking sheet and spray it with Pam.
  7. Make 9 balls and place them on the foil.
  8. Press each ball down until it is cookie shaped.
  9. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees F or until browned.
  10. Remove from pan and cool on a rack.

I made a batch of these for tonight's dinner. Our son is also allergic to gluten. Instead of putting raisins in them, I pressed some chocolate chips into the cookies just before baking them. I'm still experimenting. It took 10 minutes to prepare them and 20 minutes to bake. I served them with ice cream for dessert. Everybody loved them. They were a big hit.

I am having so much fun experimenting with these cookies. Tonight, I made another batch. This time, I left out the raisins and put 1/3 cup chopped pecans and 1/4 cup chocolate chips in them. I cut the chocolate chips in half to make them smaller. They are so good. I've got to quit this. These healthy cookies are going to make me fat!

After a couple of days, these cookies begin to taste a little stale but I ate the last 2 anyway. I just had to make another batch to see how they do when frozen. I like the ones with the chocolate chips and nuts best of all so that's what I made.

I just had a frozen one for lunch and it's like eating a candy bar. I let it sit for 2 or 3 minutes before biting it. Love these healthy cookies! Now that I know they are good frozen, it will keep me from losing control of myself.