How To Make Fresh Shredded Coconut
Why buy dried coconut from the store when you can shred your own? This is a guide about how to make fresh shredded coconut
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Everyone loves fresh coconut to eat, for making cakes, and to use for a topping on different desserts. However, most people just buy packages of coconut to use at home. I personally find that making your own fresh shredded coconut is so much better than buying it in the store. Fresh coconut meat is delicious, sweet, and has so much flavor.
Once you get the hang of shredding your own coconut for eating and cooking I'm sure you'll never buy a package of coconut again. Furthermore, people who say they don't like coconut can't resist the taste of fresh shredded coconut meat.
Total Time: 30 Minutes
Yield: 2 Cups fresh shredded coconut
- 2 to 3 coconuts
- 1 garden pick
- 1 Ana
- 1 metal bowl
- 1 large knife
- Before you can shred your coconut, the husk of the coconut must be removed. Use a pick that is firmly planted into the ground. Lift up the coconut with both hands and push the coconut husk into the pointed end of the pick. You need to pierce the outer husk of the coconut.
- Once the coconut husk is on the pick youll need to use both hands and rotate the coconut to split the husk. In this step you are opening the outer husk so you can pull it off the coconut. This will release or loosen the fibers that surround the nut inside. Continue picking the husk of the coconut on the pick and removing the outer husk.
- Place your Ana on a stable surface. You'll sit on the board of the Ana and leave the metal teeth showing in front of you. The teeth of the metal rap are sharp for cutting into the coconut meat inside the shell.
- Hold the coconut in one hand. You will need to have the eyes and butt of the coconut parallel. What we call the eyes and mouth of the coconut are the 3 round circles. Place these next to your thumb and hold the coconut out in front of you. With the back edge of a large knife hit the center of the coconut. This will crack the shell in half. The inside of the shell is filled with water.
- Sit on top of the rap and hold the coconut in both hands. You will now start to turn the coconut in a circular motion and use the teeth of the rap to shred the meat inside. Continue to rotate and turn the coconut while pressing it against the metal teeth.
- You now have your finely shredded coconut. You can use this to cook, bake cakes, eat, or make coconut milk with. The coconut is very sweet in the center. The water inside the shell keeps the coconut moist on the inside. This is what gives the coconut meat such a sweet flavor.
In This Guide