Ice Cream Social Ideas

Category Party Themes
Girls at Ice Cream Social Party
Young and old people will have fun and enjoy parties with ice cream as the focal point. This guide contains ice cream social ideas.

Get together a couple of gallons of ice cream, some toppings and bananas for banana splits. Have Dad or a male friend dressed up like the Gay 1890s, handlebar mustache, straw hat, vest and white shirt, white pants to make the ice cream for the kids.

Dress the tables in red, white and pink. Ice cream soda centerpieces can be made by taking a soda glass and filling the bottom with clear glass gems (will look like bubbles from the soda). Then add a pink or red carnation in the center of the glass and surround it will 3 or 4 white carnations. Then add two drinking straws in with the flowers, flowers can be can be real or silk.

Set up a croquet set and let the kids knock the balls around or if they are old enough teach them how to play. Another fun activities would be kites for each kid. Or a good old fashioned game of hide and go seek.

By Debra in CO

I'm planning on having an ice cream social for my mom's birthday in July. If anyone has ideas for decorations or recipes that you could pass along I would really appreciate it! We're planning on making the ice cream with a 6-quart electric ice cream maker. Thanks so much!

Karie from AZ

Hello:

I love making homemade ice cream and get rave reviews for my homemade strawberry ice cream. I get two small bags of frozen strawberries and chop them up. I then place about 2 1/2 cups of sugar on the strawberries and set them in the refrigerator (stirring several times) until I am ready to make the ice cream. The sugar really makes a lot of juice from the strawberries. In the canister, I put a can of fat free sweetened condensed milk, a tall carton of fat free half and half, the strawberry/sugar mixture and then fill to the fill line with milk, if needed. Put the ice cream freezer together and churn until ready. I love this strawberry ice cream!! Hope this is helpful!

PS...I have made this with frozen peaches as well...it is my husband's favorite, but I prefer the strawberry.

For table decorations, you could make "fake" sundaes. Use a sundae glass, fill it with wrapped individual candies (one solid color would probably look best like red peppermints, etc.), place a large silk carnation on top (looks like cool whip) and a plastic cherry. Put a straw in to finish the look.

you could make ice cream cone deorations...use tag board for the one and pastel colored balloons for the ice cream. a sundae bar would be fun....give everyone a bowl of ice cream and have tons of toppings like syrup, nuts, gummy bears, cherries, sprinkles etc. hope this helps!

Depending on how many guests you are expecting, if you want to serve them all home made ice cream, make several batches before the party and store them in plastic containers in the freezer. That way everyone can have real home made ice cream at the same time.

Sounds like a fun party idea--thanks for sharing it!

I would go back to the 1900's when ice cream socials were a big thing and go with the red and white theme. I would buy white plastic boaters hats for the gents and ask the ladies to wear white. Some games from the era would be kites for the kids and set up a game of croquet or lawn darts. Here is a couple of unusual ice cream recipes I thought you might enjoy.

Taffy Apple Ice Cream

Ingredients

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 12-ounce cans (3 cups total) evaporated milk

1 tablespoon molasses

4 beaten eggs

2 cups whipping cream

3 cups peeled, cored, and finely chopped apple

1 teaspoon vanilla

Apple slices (optional)

Caramel ice cream topping (optional)

Directions

1. In a medium saucepan combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, milk, and molasses. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves; remove from heat. Slowly stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture into beaten eggs, then return to hot mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat just until bubbling; do not boil. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Cover and chill.

2. Stir in whipping cream, chopped apple, and vanilla. Freeze in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions. Ripen ice cream for 4 hours. Garnish with apple slices and caramel topping, if desired. Makes about 2 quarts (16 servings).

Make-Ahead Tips: Prepare the ice cream mixture; cool, cover, and chill. Freeze ice cream and let ripen.

Banana Split Ice Cream

Ingredients

2 cups white sugar

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 quart milk

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

6 eggs, beaten

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 quart chocolate milk

2 (10 ounce) packages frozen strawberries, thawed

3 bananas, diced

1 (15 ounce) can crushed pineapple, with juice

Directions

1 In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, flour, salt, milk and evaporated milk. Cook, stirring, until bubbles form at edges and mixture is slightly thickened. Pour a small amount of hot milk into the beaten eggs, stirring to combine. Then remove milk mixture from heat and stir the eggs into the milk until fully incorporated.

2 Stir in vanilla, chocolate milk, strawberries, bananas and pineapple with its juice. Pour into the freezer canister of an ice cream maker, adding milk as needed to bring to fill line. Chill in refrigerator until quite cold, then freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

I hope your ice cream social is the hit of the summer.

You can make a boxed cake mix....fill flat bottom ice cream cones just over half full, bake on cookie sheet as you would cupcakes. After they are cooled you can "frost" with whipped cream or butter cream frosting. These would be a fun way to serve cake with your homemade ice cream. I made these for Vaction Bible school , the kids loved them. GG Vi

you can have ice cream like three flavors and all the toppings and tell your guests that they pick and thats the start of the party then you play like 7 games than eat cake than open presents!!!

Every year growing up my mom would throw us girls a "SPRING FLING ICE CREAM SOCIAL". these are some of my favorite memories. My sisters and i would invite our friends over and on the invitations my mom would tell the guests to each bring their favorite ice cream topping to share. Then my mom would buy several (like 4) different flavors of ice cream, some bananas, bake some brownies, and make some punch. she would set up lots of little 3 or 4 seater cafe tables throughout our living room, kitchen, family room and entry room and we would all make HUGE sundaes in beautiful (cheap plastic ones that we loved) little sundae and ice cream dishes and sit at our little tables. There was always a prize going to the guest who brought the most unique topping and one to the guest who brought the most popular topping. it also became tradition that we had freeze dance dance-offs...(like brain freeze or fozen ice cream). even the boys in class would come because we promised enormous amounts of ice cream!

Try making ice cream sundaes.