Ice from Kenmore Ice Maker Contains White Plastic Particles

Category Ice Machines
If there are plastic bits mixed with the ice in a Kenmore refrigerator's ice maker, there is likely a gear or motor that needs to be adjusted or replaced. It should be easy to tell which with some general troubleshooting.

We purchased a house with a 2005 Kenmore Coldspot side by side refrigerator. The ice maker produces ice, but often includes pieces of off-white plastic. Where is this coming from and can it be repaired?

Answers

Best Answer

Chips of plastic

1. Inside the ice maker are 2 different motors. One is inside the machine and the other one is in the door unit or shoot area.
  2. One of these motors is the problem with this machine.
  3. There are small pieces of the plastic teeth that are coming off or scraping against another piece of plastic to cause the small plastic shaving you're finding in your ice.
  4. You will need to determine which one of these is going out.
  5. You normally can tell by the sound of the motors when they are turning.
  6. Listen for a scraping sound. Then replace this motor and it should stop your problem.

My Kenmore Elite fridge has been great. I never had any problems with the water or ice dispenser. After the last PUR filter I replaced, I noticed that the ice (after melting) looked filmy with opaque floaties.

I did an experiment. Cup #1 -I filled a glass with just the filtered water. It looked pure and clear. Cup #2 -I filled just with ice. I let it melt and it looked gross afterward with filmy opaque floaties. Cup #3 - I put in ice and then water over it. I immediately looked at the glass and could see particles floating around and they were not air bubbles. After the ice melted I noticed the same filmy stuff, but not as much as the full glass of ice had (in cup #2).

Something is wrong with my ice maker as if it isn't getting the filtered water to make the cubes. Help.

By Claire from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Old question but I think I know the answer. It probably has something to do with the filter. It's recommended that you make several batches of ice to get debris removed from the filter. It could be that the white flakes you are seeing are from that process needing more water to flush out the debris. It also could be that the filter is just defective and you should try a new one.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesMarch 28, 2017
🎃