Ice from Kenmore Elite Ice Maker Contains White Particles?

My Kenmore Elite fridge has been great. I never had any problems with the water or ice dispenser. After the last PUR filter I replaced, I noticed that the ice (after melting) looked filmy with opaque floaties.

I did an experiment. Cup #1 -I filled a glass with just the filtered water. It looked pure and clear. Cup #2 -I filled just with ice. I let it melt and it looked gross afterward with filmy opaque floaties. Cup #3 - I put in ice and then water over it. I immediately looked at the glass and could see particles floating around and they were not air bubbles. After the ice melted I noticed the same filmy stuff, but not as much as the full glass of ice had (in cup #2).

Something is wrong with my ice maker as if it isn't getting the filtered water to make the cubes. Help.

By Claire from Los Angeles, CA

Best Answer

Old question but I think I know the answer. It probably has something to do with the filter. It's recommended that you make several batches of ice to get debris removed from the filter.

It could be that the white flakes you are seeing are from that process needing more water to flush out the debris. It also could be that the filter is just defective and you should try a new one.

Call the place you got it from, good luck.

Anonymous

It could just be minerals. I read they re-crystalize when water is frozen or boiled and it may be solved with a water softener.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesMarch 5, 2010
😷
🌻
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Ice-from-Kenmore-Elite-Ice-Maker-Contains-White-Particles.html