Identifying Antique Chairs

Any idea on how old these chairs are? I don't know much about them, but they are in pristine condition?

Turn the chair over and look for markings. Without a marking it will be hard to identify and assess value.

Do your rungs match this one:

www.ebay.com/.../172814330497?hash=item283c896a81...

If so, it MAY be an Eastlake chair. I don't think there are knockoffs of this brand, but in the furniture world it is hard to always say that with all positivity!

If so, you can watch this auction and if it sells it will give you a general value for yours!

It is quite lovely!!

You many never find an exact fabric match, as people loved (and still love) to change out fabrics as trends change, but the lovely lines of the chair usually (although not always) remain the same.

Please remember, asking price is NOT value, it is what the seller wants to get. Value is what someone pays for it today. This changes daily too....although usually not a lot!

Happy selling if that is what your aim is. If so, post back and I can give you some easy, peasy selling pointers!

The Eastlake name is used a lot but it is not a "brand name" it is what is called a Victorian "movement" and anyone can claim to have an "Eastlake" piece of furniture.

• It seems a gentleman by the name of Charles Locke Eastwood was an architect and made some designs that many companies used to produce his "style" of furniture.
  • He was never involved in any company that produced furniture but his Eastlake style designs were very popular; but it appears none were ever copyrighted so anyone could use them.
  • Here is quote Eastlake once made:
  • He is quoted, "I find American tradesmen continually advertising what they are pleased to call Eastlake furniture, the production of which I have had nothing whatever to do, and for the taste of which I should be very sorry to be considered responsible."
  • There may be a brand name on the bottom of your chair but probably not, as many of this style chair was manufactured in the early 1900 and some at later dates.
  • Ad

• Many believe this style chair was originally made with cane bottoms/seats and many have been covered with needlepoint or fabric instead of having them recaned.
  • Such as this chair:
  • www.ebay.com/.../323585656210?hash=item4b57354592...
  • Most of these chairs will be difficult to give a true production date for that very reason - no brand name and no history. The movement was popular during the 1890-1910 but furniture stating "Eastlake" could have been made at any date since then.
  • Your chair looks to have some age but when was it made? I cannot come up with an answer because any piece you see listed will only have the information the seller supplies and we would have no way to verify it.
  • You can read about how all of this Eastlake name came about:
  • www.thesprucecrafts.com/identifying-eastlake-furniture-148840
  • www.museum.state.il.us/.../ms_eastlake.html
  • Ad

• leodesignnyc.com/.../who-was-charles-eastlake

Cool info, cybergrannie! I had a brief go round love affair with Victorian furnishings back in the late 1980s and clearly my memory from this time is hazy and wrong! I used to covet those chairs and even started a cross stitch sampler with pink and roses on a blue background for if I ever could afford one. Sadly, I never was able to get one and then moved on to dog friendly, functional style furniture :)

We often "sacrifice" for our pets!
I like some of this style furniture but I still have my "nice" furniture mostly from early 1960's and I and my pets are very happy with these friendly old pieces; no matter their value.

this chair looks to be from the 60's, and it looks to be fabricated after an older Victorian style

without markings or documents it is hard to tell from a small image