FurnitureCollectibles

Identifying a Desk/Cabinet

I have a desk/cabinet which is a dark wood. On the swinging front door, to the right, are 4 fleur de lis, one in each corner, and the carving of a woman's profile in the middle. I am wondering its origin. France I suppose.

A couple distinctions regarding this piece. First the hardware is slotted indicates age the back is wood with that hardware not staples. But it isnt very heavy which I thought it might be. The fleur de lis are copper or bronze stamped looked like carving. I picked it up from a couple on market place.

Look for identifying marks under, inside or on the back. This piece could be a knockoff of something more expensive or a valuable piece. A dealer could identify it for you.

Almost all manufacturers of wood furniture will mark their pieces to mark them easy to identify. These marking can be found on the bottom of the piece, inside a drawer, cabinet, or on the back of the item.

You need to take a good look at the piece to find these markings. If you can not find them then it is advised to seek out a dealer of fine furniture to help you find them. He can easily identify the piece, the age, and the value of this item.

Consumer Advice Collectibles FurnitureNovember 6, 2019
🎄
🍂