FurnitureCollectibles

Is This Wardrobe Made From Burl Wood?

I have a wardrobe and was recently asked if it's burl wood. How can I tell?

Sure does appear to be burlwood. The kind of wood it is, I don't know because burl wood is actually not a species of tree, but comes from several kinds as the tree's abnormal growth stage things change to create this look. It's a very expensive wood; you've got a keeper in my book! The wood is beautiful, artistic and serves a purpose.....I also did research on birdseye maple wood to see if there's any resemblance and I didn't see any. Burlwood is my final answer.

Anonymous

Thankyou so much.

It is burl. I have a bedroom set thats just like that.

There is a whole wiki on what makes a burl pattern in woods en.wikipedia.org/.../Burl

It is a highly sought after "defect" and I believe yours is a burl pattern probably of walnut wood.

I can't touch or feel it, but the shine off it of it from the window makes me wonder if it a laminate/veneer and not a true wood burl...the burl pattern could be adhered to a veneer over a lesser wood.

This would make a huge difference if you are trying to sell it in the value as a true burl can fetch a lot in some markets, while a veneer may be almost impossible to sell.

Are you asking to value it? If so, I would need a lot more info, including a look see inside! Thanks!

It does appear to be burl wood but whether it is true wood or veneer is what you will have to know as there is usually a wide value gap between the two.

Check out this link for how to tell the difference.

www.erinspain.com/.../

Consumer Advice Collectibles FurnitureOctober 7, 2019
🎃