Identifying a Mersman Table

What type of Mersman table is this and what is the wood type?

It looks like brown mahogany. It could be an end table.

We always called these parlor tables as my grandmother and her friends all kept them in their parlors.

I see them listed as such on eBay and other sites also. Do people even have parlors today and if so, what do they call them? Sorry...I digress!

This is not a match to yours...so please do NOT use it for value...just for seeing what is called parlor:
www.worthpoint.com/.../mersman-6651-harp-mahogany-claw-footed...

If it has not been stained (refinished), I am assuming it is a mahogany wood...as it appears to be a mahogany finish--but it could have been stained and be another wood...I can't always tell.

It is quite lovely! Because I haven't seen one like this, I am hesitate to give it an age or a value...it is a little more Victorian in style...so it could be from the 30s or 40s...it doesn't have the sleek mid century modern lines of their furniture from the 50s or 60s.

The legs are spool like...but not traditional spools...I am more familiar with the ones with the slender Duncan Phyfe style legs which were made in the 50s or 60s.

Mersman's are not rare, they made millions of pieces in their long storied history...this is just a neat one and not one I have seen in my area...which does not necessarily make it rare....just different to me.

If you are looking to value it, you may want to take it to a dealer to get a good value (ask about insuring it, not selling so you can get a true value).

Selling these pieces can be a challenge because there were many made and people today seem to like smaller, lighter weight, lighter color furniture. That said, in my area, however, they are still popular with people who want to furnish their homes with more period pieces.

Thanks for sharing it!!

I have not seen this particular table during any research but Mersman made over 30 million pieces of furniture during their production time and the majority of their pieces were tables of one sort or other.

• You can take your pick of what this table was (or is now called) as it can be called by several names.
  • It is not usually classified as an end table as the drawer is in the center and not on the end.
  • You can find these listed under: library, side, radio, sofa, davenport, lamp, occasional tables.
  • It is very difficult to place a value on tables like this as there are so many variables. Condition plays a big role but a very important point (usually overlooked) is where the table is located as shipping would be very costly and most sellers advertise as pick up only which means it will usually only be sold to someone in that immediate area. What size and type of area where the table is located would determine the biggest part of the value and also how quickly it sold.
  • Ad

• Yours is a table type that is not seen very often but the darker woods are not too popular right now. The wood could be mahogany but we could not tell you that from a photo (guess maybe) but Mersman did use a lot of mahogany as dark woods were very popular in the mid century. Mersman used a lot of veneer and it takes an expert to sometimes tell the difference in veneer and solid wood.
  • The most popular table that Mersman made happens to be what is called a "harp" table and that style table is still popular today.
  • There is very little known about when each style of table was produced and that is why most sellers will just say "mid century".
  • There are Mersman tables sold on eBay and Etsy but it is difficult to determine a value from listings and only eBay shows what any of these tables actually sold for.
  • Here is what is currently listed on eBay (I have not seen a table like yours):
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=Mersman+Table+4685&_osacat...
  • Here is a link to what some of these tables actually sold for over the past few months.
  • Ad

• www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Mersman...
  • you may want to try and get an appraisal as that would furnish you more information. Some are free..
  • antiques.lovetoknow.com/Free_Antique_Appraisals_Online
  • Barneby's charges $17 but still a good deal..
  • www.barnebys.com/.../
  • This type of question is asked a lot of ThriftyFun so you might want to read some previous answers:
  • www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-the-Value-of-Vintage-Mersman...

Here is a link to some Mersman company history:

www.antiquetrader.com/.../

The wood or the stain on the wood looks like mahogany. As for the type of table, when they were first sold so many people bought these to sit in their living rooms or even parlor rooms. Therefore, the name parlor table was adopted for this style of table.