Information About Brass Table?

I inherited this table and don't know if it's antique or of any value. It appears to be brushed brass with inset glass and ram's head legs.

Does anyone know anything about these tables or where to find info? There don't appear to be any markings of brand or anything for that matter.

Answers

Best Answer

Lovely table.
It is very difficult to identify pieces without some type of mark as they could be vintage or reproductions or just a knock-off and we would not be able to tell from just pictures.
However, trained appraisers can sometimes see things in pictures that untrained cannot but mainly they're familiar with different styles and brands.
Since it's possible that your table could be valuable, I would suggest you post your pictures and question on several sites that have free appraisals (usually only appraise if valued at over $500 but they will let you know) as well as furniture forums. You should have a picture of the top with nothing on the glass top and it would be much better if your pictures were on some type of floor that did not have a pattern as details are difficult to see.
You also state 'inherit' which doesn't say very much so try to give a little more details if possible - anything about age, culture, state purchased, etc.
You will have to join these sites but all free to join.
www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html
www.facebook.com/.../
www.antiquers.com/.../

Reddit is an excellent site but a little difficult for new members - however - excellent results usually.
www.reddit.com/.../

This is a 'similar' table but it is a brand name and that means probably more valuable, but still - there is a possibility that your table has a name also. - sold for $225.
www.invaluable.com/.../marge-carson-brass-rams-head-oval...

Best Answer

Not sure if this is yours or not...The carpet looks the same--although the background is a bit different, but it looks like someone (you?) is asking $850 for it on eBay.

www.ebay.com/.../293958939370

I found one that sold for "best offer on first dibs with a starting price of over $2000:

www.1stdibs.com/.../

Both ads call it La Barge, which I don't know a lot about the brand. Something I read says the pieces should be marked "made in Italy on the foot" but I can't get that confirmed.

Maybe someone at this website can help you: www.incollect.com/.../la-barge-mirrors-tables

The eBay description needs some work--to me--because the focus should be on the Ram Head and Hoofs that make up the base for the piecrust table or scalloped table top.

I might also add that it could be considered Hollywood or just Regency Style, although the second ad calls it Maison Charles Style. I need to think about that description.

The ebay ad calls it "post 1950s". I believe it to be from the 1980s (which is also noted in the first dibs ad) although I could be wrong but know brass was HUGE in the 1980s--it would need to be seen in person to see how it was all assembled, if the brass is hollow or solid, if it is made with solder or screws, and take a look at the glass (although it could be much newer replacement glass--which would also impact value).

If it was mine--I would verify if it is a La Barge piece, I would start the sale much higher than $850 and take best offer.

Post back what you learn! Thanks for sharing!

Best Answer

This is still puzzling me. So LaBarge is out of business, and their link leads to this document: www.labargeinc.com/.../MS_Furniture_2020.pdf
The document is very long, so it will take me a logn time to digest it all.

The LaBarge company was originally out of High Point, NC.

Their local museum may have more info on the original company if you seek to learn more.

They seem to be expensive: $500 or more on eBay. www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=brass+rams+head...

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureJanuary 27, 2021
🍀
💘
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Information-About-Brass-Table-1.html