Vintage FurnitureFurniture

Information on a Vintage Vinyl Covered Cedar Chest

Does anyone have any info on this type of cedar chest? It's vintage vinyl studded. The woman I bought it from said it was her great grandma's. The figures appear to be Greek.

Thanks in advance.

From the style and the studs and the legs I think it is from the 1950s. You would be in a better position to determine value if you knew who manufactured it. Look inside the chest and under it for markings

Anonymous

With more digging I found out its made by Honderich furniture co in Milverton Ontario Canada & its a Red Seal chest they made still awaiting a reply from someone associated with them as its been out of business for along time

These type of blanket chests were popular in the late 1940s-early 1960s.

Without a maker, it will be hard to give an exact value.

While I rarely offer similar items as examples, in this case I because there are
a lot of variables with chests because people often modified them for their own needs and tastes.

Similar ones are unsold on eBay in the $35-40 range. Sadly unless it is a very rare exam, most people don't like the vinyl pieces. They cracked easily, got dirty easily and looked dated quickly when the color trends changed It is the one mid century modern trend that did not become a classic.

One thing to check is any signs that this was a project piece... meaning someone took an old or damaged cedar chest and redid it for the times/trend.

Signs of this would be uneven corner miters on the vinyl, uneven spaces between the tacks, glued sections on the inside and uneven seams.

You could take it to an antique dealer and get more information and a value in your area. That may be your best bet.

Let us know what you learn.

Cool! That is great news!!! They made some lovely pieces!! Sturdy!

This site seems to sell a number of Honderich items. Perhaps they have an expert there who you can contact if your contact falls through.

www.kijiji.ca/.../k0c10l9004

It would be really neat if you could tell the story of the trunk and its travels! I love stuff like that!!!

I will definitely post the information when I get a reply thanks for your help & feedback!