Keeping Flies Out of Pet Food Outside

I need to leave some dry cat food outside. How can I keep the flies away? I've never had this problem in prior years.

More worrying than flies, leaving opened cat food and such can invite vermin or racoons, so you may want to keep it all sealed in a metal trash can with a rock on top of it so that nothing can upset the lid.

Aside from that, a bowl of vinegar can often attract, then kill flies

Hang up a ziplock bag with water.

I tried the baggie with water just about 30 minutes ago. I put down my cats fresh food and water then walked across the yard to feed the stray and when I came back about 3 minutes later his bowl was full of flies.

And it doesnt really matter if its wet or dry food. I feed my cat both and the flies swarm around both of them equally. If anyone finds a working solution I'd love to hear it.

I have been feeding feral kitties for a while and have had the same problem with flies. Putting the food bowl in front of a blowing fan helps to deter many of the flies. However, some of the cats were scared of the fan at first. Eventually my kitties got use to the fan and even began lounging around it on very hot days.