Keeping Flies Out of Your Cat's Food

Category Flies
Pet owners who feed their cats outside generally have trouble, in the warmer months, with flies getting into they cat's food. This is a guide about keeping flies out of your cat's food.

I have to feed my cat in the garage because of small children around. The cat will only eat wet food. It stinks and draws flies! The cat eats a little bit all day, so it makes it hard to feed her in the house in the morning or at night. How can I keep the flies away? Thanks.

By cheryl from Oakley, CA

Best Answer

It may take a little while but your cat will eat dry food if you stop feeding her wet food; the cat will start eating the dry food when she's hungry.

it will also be much better for the cat in the short term (no flies eggs in her food) and in the long run too. Cats and dogs that eat only soft wet food end up with terrible dental problems as they age.

Best Answer

My eight year old Rachel eats both wet and dry food and she is like yours and nibbles when she is hungry throughout the day. What I do is give her just half of her wet food in the morning and put the other half, covered, in the fridge for later in the day.

What you can also do is because of needing to feed your baby in the garage is to put up fly strips (they're sticky tape vertical banners) above the cats bowl and that will help immensely :-)

I need to leave some dry cat food outside. How can I keep the flies away? I've never had this problem in prior years.

More worrying than flies, leaving opened cat food and such can invite vermin or racoons, so you may want to keep it all sealed in a metal trash can with a rock on top of it so that nothing can upset the lid.

Aside from that, a bowl of vinegar can often attract, then kill flies

Hang up a ziplock bag with water.