Keeping Flies Out of Your Cat's Food

Category Flies
Pet owners who feed their cats outside generally have trouble, in the warmer months, with flies getting into they cat's food. This is a guide about keeping flies out of your cat's food.

I have to feed my cat in the garage because of small children around. The cat will only eat wet food. It stinks and draws flies! The cat eats a little bit all day, so it makes it hard to feed her in the house in the morning or at night. How can I keep the flies away? Thanks.

By cheryl from Oakley, CA

Answers

Best Answer

It may take a little while but your cat will eat dry food if you stop feeding her wet food; the cat will start eating the dry food when she's hungry.

it will also be much better for the cat in the short term (no flies eggs in her food) and in the long run too. Cats and dogs that eat only soft wet food end up with terrible dental problems as they age.

Anonymous
Best Answer

My eight year old Rachel eats both wet and dry food and she is like yours and nibbles when she is hungry throughout the day. What I do is give her just half of her wet food in the morning and put the other half, covered, in the fridge for later in the day.

What you can also do is because of needing to feed your baby in the garage is to put up fly strips (they're sticky tape vertical banners) above the cats bowl and that will help immensely :-)

I have over ten cats plus kittens we feed out side, but the flies are so bad they won't eat and are losing weight. I have put fly strips, sprayed apple cider, everything, and gets worse!

The only thing I can think of that is keeping it so bad is that we have raccoons, possums, and armadillo that eat the food. Are dirty raccoons and possums the issue? If so what do I do? I can't handle it much longer!

Answers

Best Answer

Vacuum the flies before feeding. This may allow enough time for the cats to eat. Don't leave the food out. Feed only once or twice a day. Clean up any leftover food after each feeding. The cats may also be losing weight from anemia if they have flea infestations.

Try contacting a local spay/neuter group to advise you. The volunteers have a lot of knowledge about caring for cat colonies. They will also have advice about keeping the flies away. Keep up your good work of helping the cats.

I need to leave some dry cat food outside. How can I keep the flies away? I've never had this problem in prior years.

Answers

More worrying than flies, leaving opened cat food and such can invite vermin or racoons, so you may want to keep it all sealed in a metal trash can with a rock on top of it so that nothing can upset the lid.

Aside from that, a bowl of vinegar can often attract, then kill flies

Hang up a ziplock bag with water.

I tried the baggie with water just about 30 minutes ago. I put down my cats fresh food and water then walked across the yard to feed the stray and when I came back about 3 minutes later his bowl was full of flies.

And it doesnt really matter if its wet or dry food. I feed my cat both and the flies swarm around both of them equally. If anyone finds a working solution I'd love to hear it.

I have been feeding feral kitties for a while and have had the same problem with flies. Putting the food bowl in front of a blowing fan helps to deter many of the flies. However, some of the cats were scared of the fan at first. Eventually my kitties got use to the fan and even began lounging around it on very hot days.