Keeping No See Ums from Biting

I recently retired and I'm spending the winters in Florida. I have a bad allergic reaction to the (no see ums bites). I get bitten all over my legs, it's unbearable. I heard that B12 helps to prevent bites. Does anyone have any input?

By Elsa

I get lots of bites and I put Scotch Tape over them. It stops the itch immediately. I leave it on for at least a day. I have never gotten an infection. A nurse friend of mine says it is a great idea.

Just tried the scotch tape...hope it works. Thanks for the tip.

This actually worked. Thank you!

Wipe yourself with a dryer sheet ( bounce preferred) prior to walking out. It works great and serves as bug repellent minus the smell and grease etc. I hope it helps :-)

Will a fragrance free sheet work?

No, do not do that, dryer sheets are known endocrine disrupters and highly toxic

Anonymous

I've been taking B 12 for over a year-- they still bite me!!

I've been taking it as well for over 2 years and it does not work for me. I wish it did. I live in MD in a wooded area and they are in my house. I have used sprays, called exterminators and they sprayed and it didn't work either.

I also have tried lavender essential oil and it didn't work either. I have bite all over me everywhere!!!!!! nothing works!

Anonymous

I was planting a flower bed in Florida and they were terrible. I rubbed a few drops of Manuka Oil (found on Amazon) all over my exposed skin and continued plant. They completely disappeared. I plan to try some drops of Manuka Oil in water in a spray bottle to see if this too would work. I was desperate at the time and just put it full strength on my skin. I'm hoping the spray bottle will work as well, since Manuka is pricey.

I take b12 and they still love me.

Try Thiamine (B1)

Apple cider vinegar and magnesium and garlic supplements they don't bite me. I dropped the b12 it didn't work.

I live on my boat in Fl. and the marina is surrounded by mangroves, witch they love.

I found that regular hand sanatizer works after getting bitten. Put it on very liberally. It works for me.

Anonymous

I'm from Florida and always knew them as sand fleas. I didn't hear the word no see ums until I moved to SC and believe me, they introduced themselves to me pretty quick. One bite and I have quarter size welps on me. They are worse than mosquitoes, at least I can swat them!
My daughter has been playing soccer for the last 6 years. It has taken 4 years to learn what works for me and that is skin so soft with rubbing alcohol (half and half). I spray it on exposed areas, it gets on my clothes. I recommend it to everyone, it's cheap and those who try it agree.

The noseeums are back here in full force here, not sure that they ever really went away :-) My sis-in-law is being plagued with them on Hilton Head too, recommended this for her.

We use natural repellents and have tried many, even made our own out of desperation, but now have found a product online, it works great is effective and safe on the kids: thesolidbarcompany.com/.../travel-bug-bars .

There's an anti itch cream that works fine for when you forget the repellent or miss a bit, good info.

Best of luck to all in keeping those miserable itches away! x

B12 didn't work for me. I have found nothing and thinking about going to Arizona next year.

I'm on here looking for relief too from the Noseeum bugs-- and I live in the Phoenix Valley. Those nasty bugs are here too!

Anonymous

We have them in Arizona too.

I have had them in my apartment and they just kept coming. I looked this what to do about them in this article and just turned my

A/C way down. Said it's a great way to get rid of them. I hate bugs especially in my living quarters. Thank god we can get rid of them.

Arizona has noseeums too! Just so you know!

We have them in AZ, too!

I am in Northern ARIZONA and I am getting eaten alive!

Anonymous

I"ve tried and did not work, I've heard that for some people will work as the body will smell different! Good luck!

I recently moved back to Florida after 52 years and suddenly got confronted with Noseeums- which were not around 50 years ago- and from what i've read, maybe as little as 8 years ago. Luckily, I had Avon Skin-So-Soft with me, which had been a remedy for sand fleas when I lived on the east coast of Virginia/North Carolina. It worked like a charm as it always has against flying, biting insects of all kinds- even mosquitoes. I knew about Avon Skin-So-Soft because the military had shipped tons of the stuff to all the troops during Desert Storm to keep the sand fleas from biting.

There's something in the formula that bugs cannot stand. A contractor here in Florida told me he smears Skin-So-Soft all over himself before going out to work in the Florida heat, else he would not be able to work. I'm going to try the other things I've read about on here, as well- especially keeping the house super cool (62 degrees). I like it cool and wearing a sweater and sleeping snuggled in a quilt beats being tortured by Noseeums!

Is the Skin so Soft lotion you use the one with insect repellent in it and SPF 30 or a general type Skin so Soft lotion as there are many types of Skin so Soft lotions.

Avon Skin-So-Soft will keep biting bugs away. Smells nice and easy to use.

I got relief last night from the no see ums by rubbing on my skin a mixture of apple cider vinegar, salt, and garlic. I am still considering rubbing myself with gasoline. They are relentless.

Anonymous

I read they like the apple cider vinegar - use white vinegar

Anonymous

The answe is , The Solid Bar Company. They have a great repellent that I can count on protecting me from mosquitoes AND No See Ums. Plus, they smell really good. I feel good about using them on my kids since it's all natural.

if you get them in your house , vehicle, and work they are living in your scalp. solve by washing your head with a flea shampoo, scrubbing vigorously using finger nails for 30 minutes. These guy will burrow into scalp. This wont kill them at this point but really pisses them off for the next step. let dry and wait unilt you start to feel bites again then apply generous amounts of olive oil. coat the oil onto your scalp. shower cap optional. leave oil in hair 24 hours. apply again if drying out. while your waiting do laundry with borax on your clothes and linens. borax and vacuum carpets and floors.

Try some essential oil of peppermint or eucalyptus drops in your carpet cleaning solution. That worked for me before. Also Vicks vapor rub mixed with my lotion kept them off me. For the hair, use the essential oil drops in your styling products or shampoo and conditioner. Wipe your walls, furniture, floors, and cabinets down with the essential oils also and make it into a strong smelling spray mixed with water for curtains and other linens. That should get them to move. You must carpet clean for about 3-6 days over and over again to kill them all and be rid of them for good. Happy hunting. ;0.)

Home and Garden Pest Control BugsOctober 16, 2013
🍂
🎃