Making Lamb and Eggplant Dip
Diamond Post Medal for All Time! 1,246 Posts
February 27, 2020
Halim Bademjan is a lamb and eggplant dip from the Middle East. It's great for either an appetizer or main course. I love serving it with soft lavash bread and Greek yogurt. Don't forget to try the fried mint recipe at the end to top it with. It's amazing!
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 large eggplants
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked lamb meat (shoulder area works well)
- 1/2 cup cooked lentils
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/4 cup dried mint
- Greek yogurt or labne to serve
- lavash bread to serve
- Peel and cut the eggplants into thick slices. Soak in salt water for about 30 minutes, then drain and dry. This will remove all their bitterness.
- Place eggplant slices in large oiled pan over medium heat in single layer. Brown on both sides, but don't cook all the way through.
- Place a lid on top and cook for 5 minutes. This will help cook the eggplant thoroughly without adding too much oil.
- Add some oil in another pan over medium heat and fry the onion slices until golden brown.
- Add the eggplant to the fried onion.
- Place the cooked lamb meat and boiled lentils in a large plate or bowl.
- Mash together the lamb and lentils until smooth.
- Place lamb/lentil mixture into the onion/eggplant mixture and mash together. Add turmeric and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash this mixture thoroughly.
- You can use an immersion blender, blender, or food processor to make it super smooth.
- Stir in two tablespoons of Greek yogurt.
- To make the fried mint, heat up 1/3 cup oil on high until hot, then remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup dried crushed mint leaves. Allow to sizzle while you stir.
- If the fried mint doesn't have a layer of oil on top, add a bit more oil.
- I like to serve this with Greek yogurt or Labne, which is like Greek yogurt but strained even further. You can add a touch of salt to either when serving, or leave them as is.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.