Making Your Own Lampe Berger Fragrances

Category Miscellaneous
You can create your own unique fragrances for your lamps. This is a page about making your own Lampe Berger fragrances.

Do I need to use neutral oil between different frangrances?

Answers

I would, as it will absorb any lingering oil.

OK...I am being a Debbie downer today, but I have to sometimes and when safety is at stake, I speak up.

Homemade frangrence oils can be made. There are lots of internet sites about them...but just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Homemade oils can cause fires...there are too many flash points and that is dangerous.

I have two links (below)...one has flash points and since there is probably no easy way to get a thermometer into the thing to measure temperature, it may be hard to tell what temperature the mixture gets to. I am just very paranoid about oils and heat causing flames.

www.themiracleofessentialoils.com/.../

plushfolly.com/.../Flash-Points

If it were me, I would just buy oils that are from the company (and even those can be dangerous for fires but for causing allergic reactions to super sensitive people).

This to me is being pennywise and about 100 pounds foolish...but that is just me!!

After reading your question several times, I am not sure if you are using store bought fragrance or if you are making your own and just want to know what to do when changing fragrances.

• Either way, one of the most important things about these lamps is keeping the wick and stone clean. Many people buy or receive these lamps and then just skim over the instructions. Keeping the wick and stone clean will help with making your stone (and wicks) last a much longer time. Check out this site for easy instructions.
  • www.hunker.com/.../how-to-clean-wick-stones-for-fragrance...
  • I have been using 2 of these lamps for several years and never had a problem with making my own fragrances. I like having 2 lamps (they were gifts) because it is easier to change fragrances.
  • Here are a couple of sites that have some very good instructions on how to safely make and handle your own oil.
  • Advertisement

• www.hunker.com/.../how-to-make-lampe-berger-oil
  • www.doityourself.com/.../how-to-make-lampe-berger-oil
  • www.ebay.com/.../g.html
  • I know this is more than you ask for but since someone may happen to read this that is not familiar with these lamps, I think it is best to have reading material available.

ThriftyFun has received questions on this subject in the past so maybe someone might be interested in previous questions/answers.

www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Lampe-Berger-Fragrances...

Not Debbie downer as much as Missy Misinformed. You can use essential oils, but there are some caveats.

First - the flashpoint is the temperature at which there is enough vapour produced in air to ignite with a real ignition source - a flame or a spark for example.

For isopropyl 99% thats about 12celcius, vs 50 to 60celcius for almost all essential oils.

Secondly essential oils can be diluted by alcohols, ethanol is common as its got a low odour, isoproply alcohold (IPA) 91 or 99 can be used but the smell is much stronger.

Some essential oils just literally break down into a bad smelling substance when put in IPA, so be aware of that.

The only other downside is that some essential oils, although mostly dissolved in the IPA, will leave a residue on the wick ceramic, especially if too much essential oil is used, and that can have an off smell on subsequent lightings.

So yes you can put a few drops of your essential oil into IPA and use it in the lamp and you will not risk burning your house down any more than cooking with oil in your frying pan.

I like that title!! Yes, sometimes I am Missy Misnformed but I am fine with that, since learning is a lifelong process!

This is good info about the oils. I hope people understand it and are careful with them. But I still will never use them and will always tell people to use extreme caution when using them.

As a caveat, I am fine with using them carefully like putting lavender essential oils on a sachet in my pillow case, or keeping a bottle of peppermint at my desk when I feel stressed. Those to me are awesome, but burning them, not in my world.

You could not pay me a million dollars to use essential oils to scent a room. Never! Why, because in the late 1980s/early 1990s, one of my first experiences using "soothing" essential oils in a burner, it flashed and caught fire. If it wasn't for the quick thinking of my roommate and a good fire extinguisher, I could have burned down an apartment building. Thank G-d, all it did was ruin a pair of drapes.

There are too many folks out there who may not understand what they are doing and mix and match essential oils and other products where they shouldn't (i.e. substituting, not following recipes, recipes that are not correct, etc.).

Your example of it being as safe as cooking oil bought tears to my eyes. Just this past October, there was a fire that killed an elderly couple who lived a few miles from us. They died from smoke inhalation caused by a frying pan of oil overheating and catching on fire.

So yes, I am a Debbie Downer too sometimes and I am fine with that title too!! I know there is danger everywhere and accidents happen. This is why I will always be out there preaching safety first and learning...so I have as much info as possible to help people make good choices!

What is the correct amount of scented oil you use for 91% alcohol for a lampe berger? My lamp doesn't get very hot or hardly any scent. I can't afford to buy it already made up!

Thanks.

By Polly Johnson from Klamath Falls, OR

Answers

The secret is to use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (not the same as rubbing alcohol) - available at any Drug Store and inexpensive.

99% Isopropyl Alcohol will get the ceramic top part of the wick to it's right temperature after a minute or two, after which you blow out the flame and the ceramic will remain hot until either snuffed out or the alcohol is used up.

As for adding fragrance, you can either use essential oils (pure natural extracts - usually more expensive) or fragrance oils (synthetic fragrances - usually stronger and much larger fragrance selection and more reasonably priced compared to essential oils.)

How much you use depends on the type of oils you chose to use.
The general rule of thumb I use, is 8 to 10 drops of fragrance or essential oil per 250ml of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Good Luck, have fun and enjoy your Fragrance lamp without breaking the bank.

As soapmaker, i use Essential oil and fragrance on a daily basis. You can find a lot of great scent for create the lamp mix at place like www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com. I am so happy that I found that website! I was looking for refill for my Berger lamp and the price of the "real stuff" is prohibitive. I like to use natural product as much as possible and it's now possible to make my Berger lamp spread EO all over the house, yeah me! :)

I pay $33.00 a week for a small 16 ounce bottle of the pre made. I could smack myself stupid for not knowing I could make my own. Never turning back.

$33.00? Wow, that is the typical price for the 1 liter size.

Where are you getting it from?

I just checked on Amazon and ALL of them are expensive. Some smaller bottles could be about $20 but larger are $30 +

So after seeing some tutorials on making your own Berger oil fragrances I went out and sourced the following: 91% isopropyl alcohol, fragrance oils, and a new wick.

I mixed approximately 18 drops of fragrance oils into my Berger lamp with about 1/3 of the lamp's capacity filled with isopropyl alcohol and lit it.

It worked very well, great smells and I burnt it for approximately 5 minutes - after blowing it out, the stone goes cold after about 5-10 minutes

When I switch back to the official oil it stays hot so I'm very confused, can someone please shed some light on things to check?

Many thanks in advance.

Answers

You might have to add distilled water. Also try 99% rubbing alcohol.

I discourage folks for making their own oils because of fire hazards with the essential oils. It can be too dangerous to mix and match and change things.

Best just to invest in the brand name if you must use these.

Please be aware that many people are allergic to these scents so if you are having holiday company you may want to forgo the use altogether and let the lovely scents and aromas of food and beverage stand on their own!

Just a safety first public service announcement from someone who worries and has allergies!

YOU ARE ONLY SUPPOSE TO HEAT THE STONE.
ONCE YOU PUT OUT THE FLAME YOUR STONE SHOULD STAY WARM FOR AWHILE.
YOU SHOULD NOT MIX ESSENTIAL OIL IN WITH LAMP OIL.
PUT ESSENTIAL OIL IN A CONTAINER TO EVAPORATE IT.

Instructions for making your own oil can be confusing as not too many say exactly the same thing.

I prefer using 91% Isopropyl alcohol but many say to use 99% for better results and I may try that also. I never leave mine burning for more than 3 minutes and this works for me. It may not be lasting as long as the expensive oil but long enough for me.

Maybe reread some answers and see if you may be doing something different than suggested. Many links are given so check those also.
The "recipes" quoted are strictly from one of these sites.

www.doityourself.com/.../how-to-make-lampe-berger-oil

www.hunker.com/.../how-to-make-lampe-berger-oil

How can I make my own oil for my Lampe Berger?

Answers

These are really great for the house but the cost of original oil is very pricey. There are lots of suggestions on the Internet but are all basically the same.

Ingredients
16 oz Isopropyl alcohol (91% or higher)
Essential oil (10 drops)
1 tablespoon distilled water.

Step 1
Remove 2 tablespoons of alcohol from the jar. You can purchase this from Wal-Mart, drug stores, etc. This is to make room in the bottle for the 2 tablespoons of liquid you will be adding. So if there is a lot of room at the top of the bottle, you don't have to do this.

Step 2
Add 1 tablespoon of distilled water and 10 drops of the essential oil scent you want the bottle of 91% (or higher) Isopropyl alcohol. Mix and it is ready to use.

Step 3
IMPORTANT: You must use a 90% or higher strength isopropyl, or rubbing, alcohol. The 70% isopropyl alcohol contains too much water in the solution, and will not burn. You can find the 90% strength at drugstores on the same shelf next to the 70% solution.

Step 4
Do not overfill the lamp. Try filling the lamp a little less than halfway and then light as usual.

Step 5
One key element that I found is using an authentic Lampe Berger Wick and cleaning the wick regularly. One wick will last a very long time is cleaned on a regular basis. A healthy wick will last up to 350 burns. Just soak wick in alcohol over night and it will be ready to go.

Step 6
This question is asked a lot on ThriftyFun so you can check out some of the previous answers: www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Lampe-Berger-Fragrances...

This is a list of Do not's.
Do not add too much fragrance/essential oil, it may cause your lampe to smoke.
Do not use the 70% Rubbing Alcohol.
Do not use any paraffin based lamp oils, as your house will quickly fill with smoke.

Making lampe berger oil.

Step 1
You will need isopropyl alcohol,and a fragrance oil.

Step 2
Use 16 ounces of isopropyl alcohol,add 10 drops of oil to your bottle.

Step 3
Then secure top and shake the bottle well.

Step 4
You should pour it into small, separate airtight containers.

Request:

Does anyone have a recipe for making the fragrance fuel for a Lampe Berger or one of the other lamp products?

By Gene

Answers:

Fragrance Lamps

• 1 bottle 90% alcohol (do not use weaker strength)
  • 9 cc's essential oil (not fragrance oil)

Drip the essential oil directly into the bottle of alcohol. A syringe works best. Shake and enjoy!

By Susie (10/03/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

Susie, Have you had any problems at all burning the homemade fuel in your lamp? I was told by someone who sells Redolere lamps and Sophies lamp fuel that there is an additional ingredient in the formula besides alcohol and essential oil that helps the stone burn cleaner. Someone here locally is selling their own homemade mixtures and the Redolere dealer told me that those using it are having to replace their stones a lot sooner. She said she could tell when they were burning the homemade fuel because the stone turned a different color and it emitted a smoke that was not present when burning the Sophie and La-Te-Da, etc., fuels. Is this fact, or is this a sales pitch?

By Cajun (11/06/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

Cajun, there are no additional ingredients. It's just a sales pitch so you'll buy, buy, buy. I make my own and the recipe provided is the one I bought from someone on Ebay three years ago. Works great!

I have some fuel purchased from a local store and there is no difference in the burn or any smoke, if you make your own.

By Mary (11/28/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

I found the post for homemade lamp fuel. Where do I find 90% alcohol? The kind I see is rubbing alcohol and its only 70%. I really like the lamps but the alcohol is so spendy.

By cleo (01/02/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I found the alcohol, in fact I found some also that says 99%. I have tried both and my stone will not stay hot after I blow out the flame and I have let it burn (flame) for longer periods of time to see if that would help, no go. Anyone else have this problem?

By cleo( 01/05/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I was looking for information on making my own air freshener and your ideas worked wonderfully! Thank you so much for taking the time to write these amazing ideas! I appreciate them and I know my friends and family are all looking at your suggestions now as well!

By Laur (01/10/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I had trouble getting my stone to stay hot after blowing out the flame as well. Thought it was the oil but it was not and I wasted a bottle because I threw it out. The key is not to overfill the lamp. Try filling the lamp a little less than halfway and then light as usual. You should be all set and you should notice that as the fuel gets the lower, the stone burns hotter.

You need to experiment with different levels before you find the level that works best with your shape lamp. The instructions that came with the lamp said to fill it to 2/3 or less. I had done this and it did not work properly, but my lamp is cone shaped. When I filled to about 2/3 interior mass rather than 2/3 vertical height, I had success. Because of the shape of the lamp, the 2/3 interior mass looks to be about 1/3 the vertical height.

I have found this to be true with both the name brand fuel and the homemade fuel. I switched over to homemade fuel a couple of weeks ago when the sample bottle of brand name ran out and have used nothing else and am quite happy with it. No smoke and no apparent residue. I use a full half ounce of the essential oil to get the level of fragrance that I like and think I may go higher than that amount next time I make it. I also did notice over the past weeks, that when the fragrance is initially mixed and used immediately that I find myself wondering if that particular oil is weaker and if the mixture needs to have a higher concentration of oil. Then, when I refill a few days later to burn again, the fragrance is much stronger and this is also the case a few days after that. I am wondering if maybe the mixture needs to sit to proof to reach max capacity, similarly as to how your soup always tastes better in the 2 or 3 days after it is made.

I just mixed up 4 bottles with different scents each, marked the bottles with sharpie, and put them aside to sit before using them. Also, if you use it right away, don't forget to shake the bottle just like you would if you were mixing salad dressing. I do make it with essential oils and not fragrance oils, though. It's pricier than using the fragrance oils, but I prefer it. Good luck.

By SandraRose (01/31/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

To clean the stone, put it in a jar with 91% isopropyl alcohol, let soak overnight, it should be good for the next day's use, works good. Tip: never put more oil in your lamp than you plan on using. When the stone cools, put it in alcohol until the next use.

I am looking for how to make my own oil for my effusion lamp. Not sure what kind of oil and where to buy it and how much and how much alcohol.

By jax (02/02/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I would like to add to the discussion on the Lampe Berger Lamps. I have found that using an authentic Lampe Berger Wick is the answer to those who have problems with their stones not burning and lighting, etc. I have learned this through a great deal of trial, error and expense.

By Bette (02/16/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

My house is using Lampe Berger too. Actually, a lot of people are not using it the right way. That's why so many people complain about it. I'm an anti MLM person, but the product is really good. I have tried to do some experiments at home. It's really can kill the bacterias in the air. Another thing is about the scent. Not all the scents are nice, but it also depends how you mix them.

Different ones will have different effects and you just gotta use it in the right way. I don't understand why there are so many rumours about Lampe Berger. At least there are people who succeed in this line also. Some of the people are not doing the business in a proper way, and don't understand how it works. I have a friend who is a Lampe Berger member, but she's not very clear with the product. I believe I have the better understanding, compared to her.

By syit (11/29/2006)

How do you make your own lampe Berger scents?

By Jeanie from Wolcottville, IN

Answers:

Making Lampe Berger Fragrance

Wal-mart has natural essential oil. Can you use this oil or does it have to be plain essential oil? (10/23/2010)

By k

I want to make a scented liquid to fill a Berger lamp. It burns alcohol and scent, but I don't know the percent of alcohol. Do you have any info?

I used the recommended amounts, 2 oz. of fragrance oil and 16 oz. of 90 percent alcohol. My stone would not even light. What did I do wrong? Did I use too much oil? Or maybe the wrong oil?

Where do you purchase the oils to make my own Lampe Berger Fragrane. I bought some candle oil from a craft store and mixed it up, but is smells like burning alcohol.

I have fell in love with my Lampe Berger lamp that was given to me as a gift.

Crafts MiscellaneousApril 27, 2016
🎃