Making Your Own Lampe Berger Fragrances

Category Miscellaneous
You can create your own unique fragrances for your lamps. This is a page about making your own Lampe Berger fragrances.

Is it dangerous to use 70% alcohol in recipe for Lampe Berger fuel? I have used 90 in past, but can't find it during covid crisis.

Answers

Best Answer

This is the wrong alcohol to use in your recipe. If you'd like to make your own homemade Berger lamp oil recipes then you need to follow the directions carefully. If you don't this can cause issue. Using 70 percent alcohol will cause a lot of smoke and it is not good at all. I would rather buy the oil than to have an issue in my home.

Best Answer

It might be a bit more expensive but check your home improvement stores for 99% isopropyl alcohol. I saw some at Ace Hardware recently in a metal can, like you used to see kerosene in.

I also was able to get some 91% at Walgreens. You might ask your local store when their next shipment comes in and/or if they will save some or let you preorder.

Good luck!

What is the strongest scent I can buy to mix with my 91% alcohol to make my own Lampe Berger oil and where can I buy it? I tried Walmart. I bought the cheep one. Then I bought the expensive one and it still does not have a smell that is strong enough.

Answers

Best Answer

My local pharmacy sells really nice essential oils (you have to ask and they are behind the counter. I used to get a peppermint one and it worked great to take a few sniffs right out of the bottle if I felt a headache coming on. That is the only thing I would ever use them for, but that is me.

I always caution people about making home made oil products for burners. I had a fire from one years ago and I just like to remind people that this is really a safety first tool. Thank G-d I caught it before the apartment went up, it had just spread to a drape. VERY SCARY.

While even the store bought ones can be dangerous, the home made versions can be even more so. Just be VERY CAREFUL and never let anything burn unattended.

Thanks for listening!

What is the correct amount of scented oil you use for 91% alcohol for a lampe berger? My lamp doesn't get very hot or hardly any scent. I can't afford to buy it already made up!

Thanks.

By Polly Johnson from Klamath Falls, OR

Answers

The secret is to use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol (not the same as rubbing alcohol) - available at any Drug Store and inexpensive.

99% Isopropyl Alcohol will get the ceramic top part of the wick to it's right temperature after a minute or two, after which you blow out the flame and the ceramic will remain hot until either snuffed out or the alcohol is used up.

As for adding fragrance, you can either use essential oils (pure natural extracts - usually more expensive) or fragrance oils (synthetic fragrances - usually stronger and much larger fragrance selection and more reasonably priced compared to essential oils.)

How much you use depends on the type of oils you chose to use.
The general rule of thumb I use, is 8 to 10 drops of fragrance or essential oil per 250ml of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol.

Good Luck, have fun and enjoy your Fragrance lamp without breaking the bank.

As soapmaker, i use Essential oil and fragrance on a daily basis. You can find a lot of great scent for create the lamp mix at place like www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com. I am so happy that I found that website!

I was looking for refill for my Berger lamp and the price of the "real stuff" is prohibitive. I like to use natural product as much as possible and it's now possible to make my Berger lamp spread EO all over the house, yeah me! :)

I pay $33.00 a week for a small 16 ounce bottle of the pre made. I could smack myself stupid for not knowing I could make my own. Never turning back.

$33.00? Wow, that is the typical price for the 1 liter size.

Where are you getting it from?

I just checked on Amazon and ALL of them are expensive. Some smaller bottles could be about $20 but larger are $30 +

I'm trying to make my own Lampe Berger fragrance oil. I have the 91% alcohol. What kind of fragrance can I use?

Do I need to use neutral oil between different frangrances?

Answers

I would, as it will absorb any lingering oil.

OK...I am being a Debbie downer today, but I have to sometimes and when safety is at stake, I speak up.

Homemade frangrence oils can be made. There are lots of internet sites about them...but just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should be done.

Homemade oils can cause fires...there are too many flash points and that is dangerous.

I have two links (below)...one has flash points and since there is probably no easy way to get a thermometer into the thing to measure temperature, it may be hard to tell what temperature the mixture gets to. I am just very paranoid about oils and heat causing flames.

www.themiracleofessentialoils.com/.../

plushfolly.com/.../Flash-Points

If it were me, I would just buy oils that are from the company (and even those can be dangerous for fires but for causing allergic reactions to super sensitive people).

This to me is being pennywise and about 100 pounds foolish...but that is just me!!

After reading your question several times, I am not sure if you are using store bought fragrance or if you are making your own and just want to know what to do when changing fragrances.

• Either way, one of the most important things about these lamps is keeping the wick and stone clean. Many people buy or receive these lamps and then just skim over the instructions. Keeping the wick and stone clean will help with making your stone (and wicks) last a much longer time. Check out this site for easy instructions.
  • www.hunker.com/.../how-to-clean-wick-stones-for-fragrance...
  • I have been using 2 of these lamps for several years and never had a problem with making my own fragrances. I like having 2 lamps (they were gifts) because it is easier to change fragrances.
  • Here are a couple of sites that have some very good instructions on how to safely make and handle your own oil.
  • www.hunker.com/.../how-to-make-lampe-berger-oil
  • www.doityourself.com/.../how-to-make-lampe-berger-oil
  • www.ebay.com/.../g.html
  • I know this is more than you ask for but since someone may happen to read this that is not familiar with these lamps, I think it is best to have reading material available.

ThriftyFun has received questions on this subject in the past so maybe someone might be interested in previous questions/answers.

www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Lampe-Berger-Fragrances...

So after seeing some tutorials on making your own Berger oil fragrances I went out and sourced the following: 91% isopropyl alcohol, fragrance oils, and a new wick.

I mixed approximately 18 drops of fragrance oils into my Berger lamp with about 1/3 of the lamp's capacity filled with isopropyl alcohol and lit it.

It worked very well, great smells and I burnt it for approximately 5 minutes - after blowing it out, the stone goes cold after about 5-10 minutes

When I switch back to the official oil it stays hot so I'm very confused, can someone please shed some light on things to check?

Many thanks in advance.

Answers

You might have to add distilled water. Also try 99% rubbing alcohol.

How can I make my own oil for my Lampe Berger?

Answers

These are really great for the house but the cost of original oil is very pricey. There are lots of suggestions on the Internet but are all basically the same.

Ingredients
16 oz Isopropyl alcohol (91% or higher)
Essential oil (10 drops)
1 tablespoon distilled water.

Step 1
Remove 2 tablespoons of alcohol from the jar. You can purchase this from Wal-Mart, drug stores, etc. This is to make room in the bottle for the 2 tablespoons of liquid you will be adding. So if there is a lot of room at the top of the bottle, you don't have to do this.

Step 2
Add 1 tablespoon of distilled water and 10 drops of the essential oil scent you want the bottle of 91% (or higher) Isopropyl alcohol. Mix and it is ready to use.

Step 3
IMPORTANT: You must use a 90% or higher strength isopropyl, or rubbing, alcohol. The 70% isopropyl alcohol contains too much water in the solution, and will not burn. You can find the 90% strength at drugstores on the same shelf next to the 70% solution.

Step 4
Do not overfill the lamp. Try filling the lamp a little less than halfway and then light as usual.

Step 5
One key element that I found is using an authentic Lampe Berger Wick and cleaning the wick regularly. One wick will last a very long time is cleaned on a regular basis. A healthy wick will last up to 350 burns. Just soak wick in alcohol over night and it will be ready to go.

Step 6
This question is asked a lot on ThriftyFun so you can check out some of the previous answers: www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Lampe-Berger-Fragrances...

This is a list of Do not's.
Do not add too much fragrance/essential oil, it may cause your lampe to smoke.
Do not use the 70% Rubbing Alcohol.
Do not use any paraffin based lamp oils, as your house will quickly fill with smoke.

Making lampe berger oil.

Step 1
You will need isopropyl alcohol,and a fragrance oil.

Step 2
Use 16 ounces of isopropyl alcohol,add 10 drops of oil to your bottle.

Step 3
Then secure top and shake the bottle well.

Step 4
You should pour it into small, separate airtight containers.

I'm trying to make my homemade oil for my lampe Berger. I got 91% alcohol I tried the fragrances and pure fragrance from Walmart. I tried every different type Walmart has and none of them are strong, I can barely smell them. I tried tendra. I even used 20 drops and I still can't smell the fragrance. Is there a special kind of oil or place I can buy some from that has a strong smell today? Thanks in advance.

Request:

Does anyone have a recipe for making the fragrance fuel for a Lampe Berger or one of the other lamp products?

By Gene

Answers:

Fragrance Lamps

• 1 bottle 90% alcohol (do not use weaker strength)
  • 9 cc's essential oil (not fragrance oil)

Drip the essential oil directly into the bottle of alcohol. A syringe works best. Shake and enjoy!

By Susie (10/03/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

Susie, Have you had any problems at all burning the homemade fuel in your lamp? I was told by someone who sells Redolere lamps and Sophies lamp fuel that there is an additional ingredient in the formula besides alcohol and essential oil that helps the stone burn cleaner. Someone here locally is selling their own homemade mixtures and the Redolere dealer told me that those using it are having to replace their stones a lot sooner. She said she could tell when they were burning the homemade fuel because the stone turned a different color and it emitted a smoke that was not present when burning the Sophie and La-Te-Da, etc., fuels. Is this fact, or is this a sales pitch?

By Cajun (11/06/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

Cajun, there are no additional ingredients. It's just a sales pitch so you'll buy, buy, buy. I make my own and the recipe provided is the one I bought from someone on Ebay three years ago. Works great!

I have some fuel purchased from a local store and there is no difference in the burn or any smoke, if you make your own.

By Mary (11/28/2005)

Fragrance Lamps

I found the post for homemade lamp fuel. Where do I find 90% alcohol? The kind I see is rubbing alcohol and its only 70%. I really like the lamps but the alcohol is so spendy.

By cleo (01/02/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I found the alcohol, in fact I found some also that says 99%. I have tried both and my stone will not stay hot after I blow out the flame and I have let it burn (flame) for longer periods of time to see if that would help, no go. Anyone else have this problem?

By cleo( 01/05/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I was looking for information on making my own air freshener and your ideas worked wonderfully! Thank you so much for taking the time to write these amazing ideas! I appreciate them and I know my friends and family are all looking at your suggestions now as well!

By Laur (01/10/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I had trouble getting my stone to stay hot after blowing out the flame as well. Thought it was the oil but it was not and I wasted a bottle because I threw it out. The key is not to overfill the lamp. Try filling the lamp a little less than halfway and then light as usual. You should be all set and you should notice that as the fuel gets the lower, the stone burns hotter.

You need to experiment with different levels before you find the level that works best with your shape lamp. The instructions that came with the lamp said to fill it to 2/3 or less. I had done this and it did not work properly, but my lamp is cone shaped. When I filled to about 2/3 interior mass rather than 2/3 vertical height, I had success. Because of the shape of the lamp, the 2/3 interior mass looks to be about 1/3 the vertical height.

I have found this to be true with both the name brand fuel and the homemade fuel. I switched over to homemade fuel a couple of weeks ago when the sample bottle of brand name ran out and have used nothing else and am quite happy with it. No smoke and no apparent residue. I use a full half ounce of the essential oil to get the level of fragrance that I like and think I may go higher than that amount next time I make it. I also did notice over the past weeks, that when the fragrance is initially mixed and used immediately that I find myself wondering if that particular oil is weaker and if the mixture needs to have a higher concentration of oil. Then, when I refill a few days later to burn again, the fragrance is much stronger and this is also the case a few days after that. I am wondering if maybe the mixture needs to sit to proof to reach max capacity, similarly as to how your soup always tastes better in the 2 or 3 days after it is made.

I just mixed up 4 bottles with different scents each, marked the bottles with sharpie, and put them aside to sit before using them. Also, if you use it right away, don't forget to shake the bottle just like you would if you were mixing salad dressing. I do make it with essential oils and not fragrance oils, though. It's pricier than using the fragrance oils, but I prefer it. Good luck.

By SandraRose (01/31/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

To clean the stone, put it in a jar with 91% isopropyl alcohol, let soak overnight, it should be good for the next day's use, works good. Tip: never put more oil in your lamp than you plan on using. When the stone cools, put it in alcohol until the next use.

I am looking for how to make my own oil for my effusion lamp. Not sure what kind of oil and where to buy it and how much and how much alcohol.

By jax (02/02/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

I would like to add to the discussion on the Lampe Berger Lamps. I have found that using an authentic Lampe Berger Wick is the answer to those who have problems with their stones not burning and lighting, etc. I have learned this through a great deal of trial, error and expense.

By Bette (02/16/2006)

Fragrance Lamps

My house is using Lampe Berger too. Actually, a lot of people are not using it the right way. That's why so many people complain about it. I'm an anti MLM person, but the product is really good. I have tried to do some experiments at home. It's really can kill the bacterias in the air. Another thing is about the scent. Not all the scents are nice, but it also depends how you mix them.

Different ones will have different effects and you just gotta use it in the right way. I don't understand why there are so many rumours about Lampe Berger. At least there are people who succeed in this line also. Some of the people are not doing the business in a proper way, and don't understand how it works. I have a friend who is a Lampe Berger member, but she's not very clear with the product. I believe I have the better understanding, compared to her.

By syit (11/29/2006)

How to make your own lampe Berger scents

I want to make a scented liquid to fill a Berger lamp. It burns alcohol and scent, but I don't know the percent of alcohol. Do you have any info?

I used the recommended amounts, 2 oz. of fragrance oil and 16 oz. of 90 percent alcohol. My stone would not even light. What did I do wrong? Did I use too much oil? Or maybe the wrong oil?

Where do you purchase the oils to make my own Lampe Berger Fragrane. I bought some candle oil from a craft store and mixed it up, but is smells like burning alcohol.

Load More

Crafts MiscellaneousApril 27, 2016
😎
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-Your-Own-Lampe-Berger-Fragrances.html