AdviceFood Tips

Making a Frozen Pizza Crust Crispy

I was half hesitant to ask this question. I'll bet every teenager from Horneytown, NC, to Intercourse, PA, and back to Climax, NC knows a hack for my problem. And that would make me look like an old fossil, for sure.

Rarely do I buy frozen pizza. When I do, I get the smaller, single serving size. Taste-wise, they are not for the true pizza lover. But at a cheap price, they'll do in a rush. And an ice cold Bud helps get it down. Sort of.

Though the taste is tolerable, the crust is ridiculously soggy. 'Doughy' might be a better word. What can I do to remedy this? I've tried putting paper towels underneath to absorb moisture. I have tried taking the pizza from the microwave, flipping it upside down and placing it under a broiler for a few minutes. Not only is this messy, I end up with a crust of browned sog. Makes me want to trash the pizza and chug-a-lug another Bud. There must be something I can do.

In the past, I have gotten frozen pot pies. A portion of the box lid had a metallic appearing coating on it. That coating helped the top of the pie to brown in the microwave. Can you buy something similar? Something to place under the pizza while in the microwave? Something re-usable?

Or maybe there's something around the house that would be safe and work just as well. If there is, as I said, any teenager would know. How can I turn my soggy crust into one that's crisp, even crisper than those sold at Gagliani's Pizza Parlor?

Doesn't the name 'Gagliani' just whet your appetite?

Best Answer

I bake frozen pizzas in the toaster oven and put it directly on the rack as instructed. I have no problem with the cheese melting and running all over the place. My husband would not eat a soggy pizza. He likes it crisp.

I think a toaster oven is a good investment especially when cooking for one or two people.

Any left over pizza is put back in the toaster oven to heat up for another meal.

Best Answer

laughing out loud at your language here! put it in your toaster oven on BAKE at 400 then BROIL for. You'll hit all targets zones at a high heat. CRISP-P-P-P-P-P

I think what threw me was the pizza I buy, at one time came with a treated cardboard that helped brown the bottom crust in the microwave. It no longer has that. Silly me, I was wondering why they didn't brown the way they used to.

Guess I'll drag out my toaster oven.

Heat in a skillet on top of the stove. That will keep the crust crispy.

I have done that. After I do, then I have to put it under the broiler to cook the top. I don't like doing it that way, but I guess I will go back to it. Thanks.

Crispy pizza crust.

Step 1
Cook it in the oven the microwave makes it soggy.

Step 2
Use a ceramic or a glass plate.

Step 3
Put a paper towel under your pizza.

Step 4
Use a ceramic cup with a handle fill with water and put in microwave with your pizza.

Seems like the water in the microwave would make it soggier. No?

Simple way to make frozen pizzas.

Step 1
Do not put this in a microwave to cook it or even reheat it. The microwave makes the crust hard and soggy.

Step 2
Use a toaster oven to cook your pizza. In a toaster oven the pizza come out fresh and crisp.

Step 3
I use a hot air oven to cook mine. This is a large glass bowl oven with a lid on top that forces hot air into the oven and cooks. This circulates the air around the inside of the oven and cooks food quicker.

Step 4
I place the pizza on the rack of the cooker and set it for 400 and 10 minutes.

Step 5
When removed the top is golden brown and the crust is nice and crisp. Not soggy or tough like a microwave makes it.

For me, I try to thaw the pizza for a little before microwaving and then putting it in the toaster to bake to get crispy.

Looks like everyone wants you to forget the microwave and go for the toaster oven.

• The problems I see with the suggestions (or just differences maybe);
  • Time: 5 minutes versus 25-30 minutes.
  • Heat: Toaster ovens are not as bad as a regular oven but still generate more heat than a microwave.
  • Electricity: Not sure about the difference but I feel sure the oven pizza will cost more than the microwave pizza to cook.
  • Convenience: World of difference to me.
  • There are browning trays especially for microwaves (I use a vintage one) but most of the newer ones (As sold on TV) seem to be getting very bad reviews (i.e. junk).
  • Looks like you may have to settle for the toaster oven unless you can find a vintage Nordic browning tray at your local thrift store. Too expensive to purchase - even on eBay.
  • www.ebay.com/.../172868916037?_trkparms=aid%3D222007...