Making a Long Arm Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder

I would like to make a long arm bird feeder hanger from PVC pipe. First off, is the pipe strong enough to hold a feeder if it's reinforced somehow? Second, how do you make one? I have a bracket from the side of the window on the house, but it doesn't go out far enough and the squirrels can still jump from a small roof to the feeder. I want it to go farther out in front of the window so it is impossible for any squirrels or other critters to get the feeder. Does anyone know how or if I can make one of these?

You can build one for less than $10 by following the instructions here www.instructables.com/.../

I'm not looking to building a feeder as I already have one. I want to build a long arm, like the swing arm ones that extend out about 20" or more to hook a feeder on the end.